Damp/condensation new build detached garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

sorry if this is a over discussed topic, new to this.
We have a new build detached garage. Main door the only opening, no vents in soffits. Ceiling not plaster boarded.
since winter began it has got ridiculously damp through condensation.
I painted the floor in summer which stays dry.
what is the best option as all my soft wood or material possessions are covered in mould already

Sponsored Links
add ventilation at the top of the walls or under the eaves or in the gables if you have them

water vapour is lighter than air so will naturally rise within the garage

check all the gutters downpipes and drains to ensure that rainwater is led away from the building and does not splash on the walls

check the roof for leaks

walk round the outside to check for damp patches or earth bridging the DPC

can water enter under the door?

does the concrete floor have a DPM?

Thanks. I have sealed the bottom of the garage door. Floor has dpm.
I’ll go for the eaves vents. Cheap and easy. Thanks. I have complained to Morris homes but can’t see them doing owt

Sponsored Links
A garage is for a car, to keep the weather off - a walls and a roof, and security - a door. That's it, not for storage. There are no regulations to prevent dampness or ventilation

A garage is for a car, to keep the weather off - a walls and a roof, and security - a door. That's it, not for storage. There are no regulations to prevent dampness or ventilation

I’m sure you need air vents in a garage for the fumes if you plan on using it for a car.

Not for a car but all my shoes, boxes etc are covered in mould and it’s only been cold a few times

It doesn’t. There needs to be some flow to push the stale air out, in my case the cold air causing damp.
My reply was to the quoted text.

But your understanding about condensation and stale air is flawed.

Condensation is caused by air, any air coming in to contact with cold surfaces. Nothing to do with stale air or ventilation, and in your case everything to so with that mass of cold garage walls and floor.

If you go outside on certain days, spring, summer autumn, winter, you will see condensation on the outside of car bodywork, car glass, bus shelters, steel structures you name it. And you wont get any more ventilated than the outside air!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back