damp floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we want to open a fireplace but the wall is damp and the floor.
we have been following this forum for 18 months to do up the homes under the hammer house we bought. we like this forum but some things make us nervous so this is the first time post.

Sponsored Links
we have posted already about this floor but maybe in he wong place?
the wall fireplace and wall are damp in an old ouse.

we like this forum but some things make us nervous so this is the first time post.
Don't be nervous - just take what tel765 says with a pinch of salt ;). He'll have you ripping stuff out and lime rendering.

More info required including photos from the inside and if an external wall the outside.

Sponsored Links
Do you mean to open up the fireplace in a chimney breast - say for a stove?
Is the back wall behind the chimney breast damp?
Is the chimney breast damp?
Is the floor around the hearth damp?
Is the floor wood floorboards?
Is the back wall solid - but dont worry if you dont know what that means.

As above pics would help?

Thank you for replying and asking questions.
there are thre of us women who have bought a auction old house in bradford. we followed this diynot for 18months but we are not much further on with the house. we learned a lot from user tel765 and woody and a couple of other users about cracks in the walldamp and opening the chimney for a aga. The answers to the questions are we've not been to the house for a few weeks, its empty. the wood floor is very damp and the chimnyis too. That wall is damp and has a crack in it.
We are very nervous that user nigef will start arguments with tel765 or what is suggessted by anyone.i'm sorry nigef but you did ithat kind of thing above. one of us had a bad experience on another forum like this with men following her and shouting aat her for trying to do work on the house. Its silly but we worry someone might blame us or find the house
woody are you the moderater?

giphy.gif

We are very nervous that user nigef will start arguments with tel765 or what is suggessted by anyone.i'm sorry nigef but you did ithat kind of thing above. one of us had a bad experience on another forum like this with men following her .
?
I'm sorry you have had a bad experience on forums . I only say things to/about tel because he's been stirring up all and sundry here for years under different user names. There is no room for debate with him . The only person from "homes under......." I knew - purely by coincidence - was a German guy who converted a public toilet into a shop. I worked with him 20 years ago. I shall not return to this thread, and wish you luck with your house. PS I live on the S. Coast.

Clean it, wallpaper it, paint it, carpet it and get it back in the auction - prices are booming at the moment. Buy it back next year for 20% less when we have mass unemployment and a major correction in house prices.

we want to open a fireplace but the wall is damp and the floor.
we have been following this forum for 18 months to do up the homes under the hammer house we bought. we like this forum but some things make us nervous so this is the first time post.

if the floor is damp, then it is probably not properly ventilated. Water vapour is lighter than air so it tends to rise.

The source of water might be a leaking pipe. Is there a water meter?

Is the floor concrete or wood?

Are there airbricks in the walls ventilating the void below the floor?

There is no need on this forum to tell people that you are a man, or a woman, or anything else.

The wall being damp could be any number of (non-catastrophic) things, an empty unheated house at this time of year will be suffering major condensation.
Damp floor- the hearth or the main floor (is it timber or solid)?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back