damp in chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I moved into my new house I knew it had a "bit of damp" on the chimney, and I also knew the flashing is dodgy around the chimney up top.

The chimney breast had a bit of discolouration on it in the lounge. Nothing too bad. However, we have since stripped the walls to bare plaster.

What we have found looks worrying, but I hope is only this bad due to the recent rain and the bad flashing.

View media item 23354 View media item 23355
First photo shows the front of the breast with a large damp patch just above the fireplace, and also a little bit up near the ceiling (9ft up).

Second photo shows the bottom of the breast, below the arch to the left (arch is brick and support the chimney upstairs where it serves both bedrooms - no breast in the kitchen adjoining). Both sides are damp like this, but this side is worse, probably due to it being more central to the chimney pots.

What I want to know I guess is how long this will take to dry up after the flashing is corrected. Will I need dehumidifyers? Heaters? Or will running the gas fire at the bottom dry it out?

The floor is concrete, by the way. Im not sure where the updraught for the chimney comes from.

Sponsored Links
Once the flashing is corrected I would imagine it would take around a week for the plaster to dry out, maybe run a dehumidifier, but don't try and bake it dry with heat.

The actual brickwork must be saturated to cause that much damp, I would expect that to take months to fully dry out.

Christ Steve, that second piccy is soaking wet isn't it. Is that the 1st floor breast? I'm trying to think why a defective flashing would cause it to soak it that damp at that localised area. That plaster may have been soaked beyond repair. That skim may well dry back "soft". You'll have to suck it and see. Got any pics of the chimney stack / flashing?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back