Damp in room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just bought old house in Yorkshire dales. There is some penetrating damp in wall of one of bedrooms.
What's best way to solve issue ? Tanking or external sealing of whole wall. Pointing is fine and no obvious problems.
Advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Sorry not able to. Just hope to have comments on advantages/disadvantages either option.

Hi there, I'm not an expert, but I am thinking that more information might elicit more help:

-Roughly how old is the building?
-What is the wall material and construction (brick, stone, cob, etc)
-Lime or cement construction, pointing?
-Can you say why penetrating damp, rather than condensation, rising damp, water leaks etc?

..and if you like reading I'd recommend:
The Damp House: A Guide to the Causes and Treatment of Dampness - Jonathan Hetreed

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Built around 1850. Random stone with cement pointing. Two surveyors have identified some penetrating damp. However, differing solutions.
There are other causes.
Off to Amazon !

Rain. West facing wall coastal down. Impossible to identify specific problem in wall. Not wanting to guess but gather info to make an informed decision.

Thanks. I suppose raincoat of breathable sealant worth trying.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back