Damp? In the bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m not sure what is causing this issue. There is what seems to be damp to the side of the tiles above the door frame in the bathroom.

I’ve taken part of the plasterboard off each side and even been in the loft above to find any signs of water, but nothing! It’s dry every time.

I’ve painted over with BIN damp sealer and repainted but the stain has reappeared. It also seems visible behind the marble tile.

Pictures attached. The red arrow shows the direction of the feed for the shower head and the blue shows the stain/damp?

Attachments

• IMG_4551.jpeg
    IMG_4551.jpeg
    255.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4550.jpeg
    IMG_4550.jpeg
    238.6 KB · Views: 29
Sponsored Links
Simple condensation from the cold tiles , need better ventilation , any extractor fan fitted ? Where?.

Simple condensation from the cold tiles , need better ventilation , any extractor fan fitted ? Where?.
There’s an extractor fan above the shower head that comes on with the light and stays on for period of time even when the light is switched off. Could there be anything I could add that you think would resolve this?

There’s an extractor fan above the shower head that comes on with the light and stays on for period of time even when the light is switched off. Could there be anything I could add that you think would resolve this?
More powerful fan, is there a shower screen?

Sponsored Links
Any extract fan, will need a similar matching size of hole, for air to enter the room. Often that will involve the door left open, or a suitable gap under the door.
Would never recommend open door, defeats the object of a fan.You want the moist air outside not back into home.Warm shower room keeps the moisture airborne longer for fan to remove.

Would never recommend open door, defeats the object of a fan.You want the moist air outside not back into home.Warm shower room keeps the moisture airborne longer for fan to remove.

The extracted air, has to be sourced and replaced from outside the room.

Very easily done thru the gaps in any door frame, not a fan on the market powerful enough to need more.

Nonsense. You need at least 5 mm between the bottom of the door and the floor to allow enough airflow.

OP - does the fan hold a piece of toilet paper to the vent when on and the door closed ?

Also , never open a window, you need to draw dry air from inside the house

And finally, how long does the fan run on for after you turn off the light ?

Nonsense. You need at least 5 mm between the bottom of the door and the floor to allow enough airflow.

OP - does the fan hold a piece of toilet paper to the vent when on and the door closed ?

Yes the fan holds a piece of toilet paper. The fan runs for roughly 16 minutes after the light is switched off.

Like I said everyone has a big enough gap round the door.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back