Damp on a single skin breeze block wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have recently moved into a house with a single skin breeze block extension on the back.

I have internally insulated downstairs using batons and Kingspan (many thanks to a great DiyNot post explaining how to do this).

I am about to start on the bedrooms but in one room there is a large damp patch high up in the corner of the wall. This is due to cracked external render on the 'weather facing' side of the house. I intend to fix this but I fear due to a flat roof it may continue to be one of them problems that is never fully resolved.

My question is could this be a long term problem if the breeze block is allowed to remain damp. Once it is behind the Kingspan I will no longer be able to see any damp patch internally if there is one. Can breezeblock deteriorate or is it designed to get wet ... dry out ... get wet etc etc

Many thanks as always

Sponsored Links
The aerated concrete block will not deteriorate under repeated wetting and drying, but what is on the room side might.
You need to stop the damp getting in first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back