Damp on front door sides

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just bought a house and the front door area is looking a little sorry for itself. Does it look like the damp parts at the bottom of each side of the door can be saved? Or what other options do I have?

IMG_20200410_101645.jpg

Sponsored Links
Get some treated timber and replace the lot, try to avoid touching the ground to slow rot and remove anything growing.

Really, is it not worth salvaging? I was thinking about cutting the last 50cm away or so, and maybe fixing a new bit of timber somehow - or do you think that just wouldn't look good?

From what I can see seems to be rotten in a few areas including the top .

Sponsored Links
you can replace the "feet" of the frame. But first, what are the dimensions of the timber sections? Is it trim or actual frame? (looks very wide)

the usual method is to saw through them above all trace of rot, with a diagonal cut, then make up a new piece following the same angle to fit in. Soak the new piece very thoroughly in spirit-based wood preserver and allow to dry before fitting.

I'm lucky enough to live near a boat-building area and bought offcuts of teak for repairs. Typical modern softwood joinery is not durable outdoors.

But it is likely to be fixed to the wall (not supported off the ground) so you could instead use a concrete or terracotta plinth block, painted to match the wall perhaps. This will not rot, and will space the timber off the ground. You can use mortar betwen the brickwork and the block.

It's possible to cast such concrete items yourself, but you need to mix very well, and preferably immerse in water for a couple of weeks to cure and reach maximum strength before fixing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back