Damp on side extension flat roof

G

grcj8

Went to look at a house today which had a small one storey side extension used as a ustility room. (about 2.5m x 2.5m) with a flat roof.

There was damp in one of the corners on the inside and also looks quite bad on the outside. I wasn't able to have a look at the roof to see whether it looked like it was leaking but I presume that's the culprit and is causing the bricks to come away on the outside? rather than the outside brickwork being the cause of the damp?

Anyone able to give a rough idea of how big a job it would be to repair. I presume it wouldn't cost that much to replace the roof for just that small extension, and assume I would need to replace some of the brickwork at the top?

Sponsored Links
The problem with this one is likely to be that there has been water ingress behind the rendering, that has frozen in cold weather and caused the rendering to blow away from the brick.
Any loose rendering needs to be removed and made good, together with the felt on the flat roof. There's a fair chance that the brickwork behind is ok.
John :)

Thanks for the reply. That doesn't sound too bad, would you be able to give a very rough estimate of how much something like that is likely to cost to fix?

Sorry I really don't know - it depends on how much of the render has to come off, and what the condition of the brickwork is like behind.
The timber facias may be a bit iffy too.
Its not much of a job though - a couple of days maybe.
John :)

Sponsored Links
1. The flat roof has failed, it has to be stripped and replaced.

2. Even if the leak is in one place(corner), by now the woodwork, & detailing, will be fungal damaged at a distance from the perhaps single weak spot.

3. The fascia appears to be tight to the render, hence, no ventilation is taking place - is it a warm roof or a cold roof? If its a cold roof then further fungal damage might be taking place in the roof.

4. Repairs have been attempted in the past, & there is a, perhaps, significant diagonal crack from corner to window head.
Repairs, or frame replacement has taken place in the window reveal itself.

5. How long would repairs take? The work would have to be opened up to give an accurate estimate. But more than two days.

Always think thro a job to the bitter end of clean up and painting and decorating.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back