Leaking roof

I've painted some sealer on the felt in the corner, and after the last bit of rain everything looked ok.

Im going to keep an eye on it over the next week or so with the rain we are having

Sponsored Links
After the current rain we have had, I've noticed water stains in other parts of the house where te same roof covers.

Also noticed some parts of the wall wet midway, and the mortar on the bricks very wet outside in certain parts.

This is really starting to annoy me now

When the flat roof was done, they removed a course of slate to flash up the layboard. Betting is the felt is barely under the slate, and the missing soaker course is not there. The underslating has developed a split and water is finding its way in.

Sponsored Links
When the flat roof was done, they removed a course of slate to flash up the layboard. Betting is the felt is barely under the slate, and the missing soaker course is not there. The underslating has developed a split and water is finding its way in.

That makes sense for 1 part of the leak (where i originally discovered it)

The pictures attached is the leaks from the parapet wall part.

This shows a bit more of the roof and ive marked 2 places where there are leaks

Any ideas of rough cost to replace this with a cut pitched roof to ie into the existing?

View media item 68045

I am wondering if they even bothered to remove a course of slates or just slid the felt up under the second coarse of slates and torched it down.

Yes well that a problem how is it going to drain out at the bottom if your slates are bonded to the felt, Its poor workmanship.

Yes well that a problem how is it going to drain out at the bottom if your slates are bonded to the felt, Its poor workmanship.

I agree, really want to change roof but the weather is not the best and not sure of any roofers.

Will just paint the whole roof with bitumen paint and take it from there. If it continues to leak, I might just have to replace the roof

Had a builder around that Ive used before, and he has quoted £5500 for labour only to strip the existing roof including rafters and constructing the entire roof framework in new wood to satisfy building regs etc.

Materials and scaffolding costs would be mine, which I reckon will be another £3500.

Does this seem about right?

Got the architect round to draw up plans for new pitched roof and other changes, but had a call from tenants to say walls are wet

Need a short term solution to this

Would something like liquid dpm work?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back