Damp on sloping ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house is north facing and I live in the north east. It was built in 1962 or 1964 and has wooden soffits covered by uPVC. Inside, the bedrooms have sloping ceilings at the wall ends. We've had a damp problem on the sloping section. On checking the loft, the insulation has been stuffed down towards the eaves completely blocking it. I have cleared it but there appears to be no ventilation, no sign of daylight or vents. Should there be insulation down the slope in the loft but leaving a gap for venting? Do I need to get vents put in the soffits? The front of the house is also tiled from above the downstairs window up to the soffits. Any help on this would be really appreciated.

Sponsored Links
First thing i would do is wash the stain with 25% bleach/water
to kill the spores,
Undercoat the stain
and then emulsion the ceiling
and see how long it takes to come back,
Before i started looking at vents
Could be condensation in the room
is the plaster hard ?
i have worked on a lot of rooms with this sort of problem most black marks on the ceiling come from the conditions in the room itself
ie radiator heat hitting the cold ceiling and causing condensation on the ceiling which is the start of mold?
Cheapest way first i say
good luck

Sponsored Links
I hope I am not hijacking this thread but it just seems to be so similar my situation it seems silly to start another - I am in a similar situation but not quite the same!!

The ceilings of my house also slope down to the eaves, the horizontal area of the loft is insulated but there is no insulation down to the eaves so losing heat through these areas. From inside the loft I can look down the sloping runs and see the wall plate and the inside of the sofit / facia.

The run to the eaves is approx. 39" and has 4" rafters so my intention was to fill the gaps down to the plate using 4" fibre glass insulation. This would leave an air gap inside the sofit / facia areas but would mean that no air could circulate where the ceiling slopes to the eaves as the insulation would be in contact with the plasterboard of the ceiling and the felt of the roof.

So, to the questions: If I use 4" insulation am I asking for trouble (i.e. do I need to ensure an air flow)? If I am going to cause problems, what are the viable alternatives?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back