Damp or stains on paint?

I think the pointing looks gappy at and below ground level. This is common when a leak washes away lime mortar, and encourages water ingress. It can be very bad close to the leak.

If you have a drain problem, and have to dig it out, you can at the same time expose, hose clean, and repoint the wall below ground. With engineering bricks, underground, you can use cement mortar, because the bricks are very strong, and the wall will not "breathe " underground.

Look out for wild tomato plants, and red worms, which are indicative of leaking drains.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your pointers.

To be fair the pointing across the entire ttom of the front needs sorting. Its just not been done for years (you should have seen the back!!). Hence the bay window looks like it could probably do with being repointed as well. We’ve recently had the entire back of the house done alongside the dropping of the chimneys, new facias, gutters etc. etc.

I’m not convinced it’s a leaking drain. I’d surely be able to smell something if this was the case. I’d also expect to see more marks on that wall; especially around the rotten skirting board (which is bone dry!). I’d also expect a problem with the neighbour considering proximity. No damp smell either; even when nose right in corner. I have absolutely no doubt there HAS been a historic problem there, it’s establishing if it’s on-going.

I’m going to get all the bottom and bay repointed ASAP as a priority but will monitor the situation and use a damp meter. I think the bay has a penetration problem but I’ve not seen enough change in that corner. It’s not worth ripping everything apart until there is some indication it’s on-going. If it was I’d be seeing some worsening of conditions (over 4 months!) I’m sure.

Last edited:
Drains are spilt into two. You have foul drains that speaks for its self and rain water/surface water drains. If the downpipe going into rainwater drain you dont get a foul toilet smell. The pointing a good start and dig abit of the soil out from around the edge outside to let the lower bricks breathe.

I see your point regarding the down pipe (didn’t clock on about that potentially leaking!) Would I expect to see any other indicators if that’s leaking on ground level? Anything else I can monitor? Other than a massive tomato tree growing across my window!!

Sponsored Links
I see your point regarding the down pipe (didn’t clock on about that potentially leaking!) Would I expect to see any other indicators if that’s leaking on ground level?

Damp walls....

Thanks for pointing that out.... :sneaky: my point is, is there anything excluding the mark (that doesn’t feel or smell damp) that I can monitor? As above; I will monitor the mark. It hasn’t changed at all in 4 months. The amount of rain we’ve had since we’ve moved into this house (this is Manchester by the way.. one of the wettest cities in the UK) that wall would have changed in four months if that drain was pi**ing water out!

Get the pointing done and see how you go. Next time it rains and we do get some nice downpours in Salford have a look to see if issues with gutter/downpipe Where the water runs off the windowsill onto the wall etc.

Thanks Martin. You’re local then by the sounds? You’ll probably agree, with the amount of rain we’ve had over the past 4 - 6 weeks you’d certainly expect to see a change. More rain = more damp? The new guttering at the back has been flooding water out during the storms we’ve had. That is as good as a confirmation it isn’t the drain for me.. unless tiny leak.

Thanks John. Good to know it could be that as I’d never even have thought of it. This house just keeps on giving - we’ve already spent an absolute fortune so hoping that isn’t the case. I would have checked everything before we did the carpet but my father in law (ex builder) didn’t think it was damp. I will monitor and see how we get on. Sure it will get worse over the next few months if we have a leak.

Also, forgot to mention, there are some really dark patches on that part of wall at a few points up.. not far from that area (behind the down pipe) that look like old water damage. I suspect that is what they mean. Good chance previous owners let the drain p*ss water out for years and left it. Old rear down pipe had completely destroyed pointing and about 10 bricks. Pipe had been replaced when we bought but pointing/bricks left for us to sort. I think this house was neglected at some point.

Have you taped on that piece of plastic?

No! Thanks for the reminder.. mad with work this week and in London tomorrow.

Might like a stupid question - what type of plastic? Where can I get it from? And what does it tell me? I’ll deffo do it if you let me know! Is it something I can find around the house?

Clear plastic. A shirt bag will do.

Tightly taped to the wall.

If the wall is wet, misting and water drops will appear on the wall side.

If it is condensation (I think not) misting and drops will appear on the room side.

Lol.. I don’t own any shirt bags. Will try to buy something later on this week. Will let you know how I get on!

I’ve got a damp meter as well... just need a battery.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back