Damp or stains on paint?

Sponsored Links
You only need a piece the size of A4 paper.

A plastic bag would do but is a big limp.

So we’ve pulled the boards and the end of joist in the corner is soaking wet.!Nothing else is wet and there is no clear indication of leaking pipes. That joist looks fairly new and it looks like they’ve put in a damp membrane course as you can see it.. so I’m suspecting this is either a historic issue and not repaired correctly or reoccurred.

The outside downpipe is still the main suspect at this stage so we’ve cut it (blocked up the hole) and put a new joint in so the water will run down the drive onto the road to see if the joist end dries out over the next week or so. If this is the case the pipe is the problem, if not, something else?

As above, nothing else seems wet in including the brickwork so it can’t be condensation?

photos of this wet joist please

from all angles, and of the wall it is in/on.

Sponsored Links
All covered up now and carpet back down. I’ll be checking in a week so I’ll take some pictures then. Completely forgot to take any! It’s definitely not a leaking pipe as the only thing there is the gas pipe. The pointing could be making it worse but we haven’t had rain for 2 days and it’s soaking so it must have been really wet if it’s the downpipe!

Very strange the brick isn’t wet and nothing else.

It seems the bay window is from pointing and not sealed properly. Bricky booked for 2 weeks to sort all of the pointing across bay and corner.

Joiner was 95% it’s the downpipe.

If the joist is still that wet in a week then we know we clearly have another issue.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back