Damp patches on inside of Chimney Breast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me what a "blown wall" is as a while ago I asked a builder to renew some very old air bricks to the side of my semi-detached 1900 built house and he said "the outside wall is blown". The builder has not got around to installing the air bricks yet and this afternoon I noticed two damp patches starting from the ground upwards either side of the fireplace in my living room. Do I need more than just replacement air bricks. I would be grateful for any information. Many thanks. Brindle

Sponsored Links
If a wall is rendered or plastered, and the render or plaster is loose and bulging away from the wall, sometiems as if it is forming a bubble, then the render or plaster can be described as "blown".

I wonder if that is what he meant

the plastering or rendering to a wall is sometimes referred to as 'blown' when said plaster has lifted or bowed away from the wall, often caused by damp or sulphate attack.

this is usually visible as a bulge in the plaster, or is found when the loose plaster is tapped.

Sponsored Links
Thank you noseall and JohnD for your responses. With regard to noseall's response, do you know what work will have to be carried out in order to rectify this problem (and is it likely to be a large costly job) as when I ask the builder to do the work I would like to know what I am talking about!!! Many thanks. Brindle

quite often, by removing the bad bits you end up having do deal with a lot of the surrounding plaster coming loose.

collateral damage.

one patch could turn into an entire wall. :rolleyes:

this does mainly apply to older dwellings though.

Thanks Noseall, I will bear that in mind and unfortunately my house is an old dwelling (built 1900!).

Brindle

noseall said:
quite often, by removing the bad bits you end up having do deal with a lot of the surrounding plaster coming loose.

collateral damage.

one patch could turn into an entire wall. :rolleyes:

this does mainly apply to older dwellings though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back