Damp Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Over the last month i have notice i have mould growing on walls in my bedroom also a massive amount of water on my window sill. Both walls are outside walls. Onchecking the extenal walls the wall with the window is fine but the other wall has a damp course only 1" above the paving slabs and moss is growing 2" above the damp course. the room has one air vent in the bottom corner that these to walls meet.

i also have pics
DSC00196.jpg

DSC00207.jpg

what is courseing the damp? anyone have any ideas and waht do i do about it?

thanks mike

Sponsored Links
mike5531 said:
the other wall has a damp course only 1" above the paving slabs and moss is growing 2" above the damp course.

The dpc should be 6" above ground level, I cannot see your dpc, is it on the first course of the green area?

dpc06.gif

You may have to do something like this in which you're lucky as you could remove the half slab you already got there and turn it on edge.

dpc20.jpg
dpc21.gif

Or this below and take the rain fall to your gulley on the right.

dpc03.gif

Sponsored Links
There appears to be water falling on that patch. If it is not a leaky gutter I would suspect a dripping WC overflow.

Dripping water will splash up the wall.

If nothing dripping, where is it coming from? Is there a leaky pipe underneath? Or a radiator leak inside?

mike5531 said:
its just rain it puddles here some times

but looking at your pic the paving has a fall of half a brick height over 5 bricks length, so rain should run off.

It looks like dripping water to me.

Looking at your indoors pic the damp seems to be higher inside, so maybe you have a plumbing (or roof) leak and there is water in the cavity.

You could try drilling a hole just above the dpc and see if water comes out.

Can you stand back and give us a pic of that wall right to the top, and the wall round the corner with the soil or downpipe on it? Is there a bathroom over the damp room?

there is definitely a prevalence of water falling/dripping/gathering in that area.

the moss don't lie. it isn't due to regular rain fall either. you've got a burst pipe somewhere or some neighbour is having a prank at your expense.

I'd check that drain if I were you. If it is leaking below ground the house may begin to crack and sink in the (now) soft ground.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back