Damp Proof course

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If the house next door installs a damp proof course in the party wall, does that also damp proof my wall too on my side?

Sponsored Links
If the house next door installs a damp proof course in the party wall, does that also damp proof my wall too on my side?

Depends on what type of dpc and thickness of wall.
Physical dpc and party wall 100mm then yes.
Chemical dpc, if installed solely for rising damp then the answer is yes.
Situations where it would not be effective to opposite side of party wall are where a vertical dpc is installed.

There is unlikely to be a party wall of 100mm thickness!

If its a cavity wall then the one leaf will not be treated

If its a solid 230mm wall then the chemical would normally be required to be pumped in from both sides and the plaster on both sides replaced too to meet the warranty of the system.

In any case, unless permission is sought from the neighbour, then no drilling or chemicals can be pumped into their side of the wall as this will be a trespass onto their property

Sponsored Links
its a party wall and will be a chemical dpc, thanks
In that case if it is injected correctly and if the cause of the dampness was true rising damp, then the injection will have the same effect on your side of the wall.
Depending on how bad the problem is, you may have to renew the plaster on your side to solve the problem completely.
Thickness of the wall is irrelevant if the company carrying out the work know what they are doing.

Why do they need a chemical 'dpc' injecting into the property?

How has the presence of damp being confirmed?

Has your house been surveyed, does it have a damp problem, and if so what are your plans to treat your problem?

If yours is not experiencing a damp problem, then why the concern for next doors property?

Noo we dont have damp, just wondered if next doors dpc would soak into our walls and if so will it smell

Chemical dpc, if installed solely for rising damp then the answer is yes.
Actually, the answer is "no".

...if it is injected correctly and if the cause of the dampness was true rising damp, then the injection will have the same effect on your side of the wall.
It will indeed have the same effect, namely no effect whatsoever.

Blimey, it's jbonding. :eek:

You're like Heather Mills - a leg-end in your own lifetime! :D

I can't recall which camp you're in, jbonding - does rising damp exist in your universe?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back