damp proof repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, I'm after some advice as to how (or whether it's worth it) to repair a small section of plastic damp proof membrane - at least I'm guessing that's what it is.
I have removed a bath with a view to turn the room into a utility room and whoever installed the bath pulled up the concrete floor to lay the waste pipe. This has damaged a small section (about 15cm x 30 cm) of the plastic sheeting between the concrete and the hardcore underneath. I still want to use the waste pipe as washing machine waste and am laying new concrete in the surrounding area. This will level the floor and allow a washing machine and cupboard to be installed. I was planning on leaving the waste pipe 'exposed' but boxed in (ie not cemented over).
Is it worth repairing and if so what's the best way? i'm a bit loath to buy a huge sheet of plastic for such a small hole...will a liquid sealer be ok or any think plastic sheet?
Thanks for any tips

Sponsored Links
anyone? Bueller? where are all those damp proof experts whose posts I've been reading!
:LOL:

Sponsored Links
noseall is probably right (he usually is).

i'm always terrified of getting even the slightest damp smell even accepting the damp itself is of no concern (being too small).

consequently i would always repair it – given the effort is small. i would just use a thk piece of plastic as u suggest. i generally lap it up the sides of the existing concrete and butter it with mortar on the underside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back