Damp streaks on ceiling below flat roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have started to notice a problem in my bedroom of my house. From the part of the bedroom ceiling that is above single glazed sash windows I have noticed long wet streaks on the ceilings as if someone had run a wet paint brush along them. There are also a couple of very small spots where it looks like someone has thrown a wet tennis ball up. Please see the attached photos.

There is a flat roof above this bedroom and unfortunately it's just too high for me to take a photo of although I could knock on my neighbours door to get let up there to take a photo.

Any ideas/suggestions as to what this is?

Thanks in advance for all your help

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Classic case of shadowing due to cold bridging brought about by condensation.

It is for this very reason that the warm deck roof system was invented.

Either your roof is inadequately insulated/ventilated or you need to stop producing water vapour within your home, or at least get rid of the water vapour before it condenses within the roof space and rots the roof.

Thanks all - I will try and post a photo of the roof by the weekend.

Noseal and catlad - Is it more likely that the flat roof is inadequately insulated or there is too much water vapour within our home? Would too much water vapour really cause such large wet patches on our ceiling? I would have thought it would have been a roof issue?

Thanks so much for your help so far

Leaking flat roofs do not look like that in my experience, when was the last time anybody did any work on your roof. I would not be surprised if there was no insulation at all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back