Damp

dano1779 said:
work for a dampproof company and can tell you there is such thing as rising damp which is when your current damp corse breaks down or fails you need to install a new one which your best option is a chemical one. that is you're purpose of having a damp course to stop it rising

Then this appears:-

dano1779 said:
all i can say is some people say it exists and some people don't.

A rather more-than-slight change of opinion there???

Sponsored Links
Ahh, give the poor bloke a break! :rolleyes:

Personally, I found removing the piles of rubble dumped under the floorboards by some previous builder, which then got soaked by leaking waste pipes from the bathroom was a slightly better solution than the £6000 quote for the chemical treatment.

The hand of fate seems to have dealt the cyber-world a rather ironic hand - I noticed when reading the last post that there are some adverts in the footer.

The following two links lead to a page that says not very much more than "Er, wot?":

rd1kx5.gif
rd2ou2.gif

:D

Sponsored Links
Softus said:
Seriously, if I had a womb....

;)

Still trawling through the 12-ish pages of the last big debate on this subject! A very interesting can of worms was opened indeed!

AndersonC....

I said:
ust for my own wondering now, I'm going to take a section of wall that will come from a house recently knocked down round the corner and stand them in a bucket with 3 inches of water to see if the top bricks get damp.. .. i'll put it in my shed and carefully top up the water every few days if it starts to disappear...

that's what i meant by the statement highlighted above..

I realise that it will evaporate, that's why i'm going to carefully top it up.. carefully so as to not splash the bricks..

then i'm going to see if the top brick/s get damp or not..

Ah, sorry Coljack.

Another question though, given that many folk comment on how unsuitable the damp meters are that surveyors etc use, how are you going to accurately measure the moisture content in the bricks at the top?

you can take the top brick out and weigh it.

If weight now is greater than weight when dry, it's got water in it, and you can calculate how much.

Some people like to chip a bit out; weigh it, then heat it up to dry, and weigh again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back