DANFOSS BFP21L3 Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a very old oil boiler, just trying to nurse it along until the house is extended when it will be replaced. The problem is with a new DANFOSS BFP21L3 fuel pump. This was a direct replacement for the previous pump that simply wore out. The problem is that I have a single pipe system from the oil tank, there is fuel to the inlet, that appears to circulate via the blanked return, there is NO screw inside as per the intstructions. Yet, despite all this when the fan starts to spin the pump there is no fuel coming out of the outlet pipe. There is power to the solenoid (16v) and there is a slow drip of fuel coming out of the pressure regulator 'P' point if I open this up to bleed the system.

Any help/suggestions appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Did this new pump ever work when you fitted it? The reason that I ask is that it sounds like it isn't turning. If it has never worked, what about taking the pump back off and making sure that (a) the drive dog is in place and (b) that it is undamaged.
The drive dog is a plastic "weak link" that fits between the motor and the pump. Maybe it is still stuck in the old pump?

whats the burner? might need to be an r3?

but oilleckies right, very easy to leave dog on old pump. :oops:

:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies, the dog is not on the old pump, it was changed over, fits fine and is turning the pump OK. I am presuming it is some sort of electrical problem since I know I have fuel 'inside' the pump but it is not being pressurised and coming out so was wondering what the solenoid did, hiow it is activated and if it can be tested / bypassed. Thanks again in advance.

OK kovertk. So far so good. If you open the screw marked "P" on the fuel pump you get just a low flow with some bubbles of air? Normally you get this when the pump is stationary and, for instance, a new flexible fuel hose has been fitted. (This is where we connect in our fuel pressure test gauge / combined bleed manifold by the way.) The next step is to put loads of kitchen paper and perhaps an old oven tin, under the "P" port and switch on the boiler. Get an assistant to help, as when the fuel comes through, you scream and your assistant switches the boiler off. That's the fuel system bled of air. However, if you only getting this low flow etc with the pump / motor / fan already turning and you know that you have a good oil supply to the pump, you are correct to be looking at the solenoid.
Most that I have come across are"mains operated" i.e. 220 volts ac. What type of burner have you got? We need to find out about this 16volts.
Sometimes you can tell that the solenoid is producing a magnetic field by holding a (NON-MAGNETISED!) steel screwdriver over the end of the solenoid that is facing away from the pump. Switch on and you should feel the solenoid pulling on your screwdriver. Another way is to remove the solenoid from the pump, hold a small screwdriver in the centre of the solenoid and see if, when the motor runs, that a magnetic field attempts to hold the screwdriver in place.
If of course the solenoid is a mains operated one, which is why we need to know the burner make / model etc and you only have 16v then check all the electrical connections via the control unit. If the control unit has 220v ac going in and should be outputting 220 v ac to the solenoid and isn't, then it is the control box. I'll watch this post for the latest episode.

Where is the oil tank relative to the boiler?

Higher or lower? If it's lower then it will need some assistance to 'bleed' the line and pump effectively. Whilst the pump will eventually suck uphill, they don't like it! Maybe the oil system needs a 'Tigerloop' or two pipe arrangement?

Also check the rotation of the motor. The L3 pump needs anticlockwise (LH) rotation, a R3 clockwise (RH), looking at the pump spindle. It may be that the wrong pump was on it before! I've come across this several times because some plumbers believe and suppliers tell them the pumps are the same.....they're not.

Thanks to oillecky ofr the info. I have now managed to get the heating up and running again. Basically from the info in response to my post I then backtracked all the wiring from the solenoid to the control unit (Satronic TF832.3) and found a short in one of the cables the was dropping the voltage, fix the short and hey presto pump works and so does the heating! Thanks to all that replied, made a big difference with the fault finding. K.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back