Dangerous fitting or dangerous bulbs?

the base in the second photo has been broken (by the blown bulb).
A mini disaster. I have two of these chandeliers and will now have to peace both of them

Sponsored Links
I think that this is a good illustration of how the changes in terminology/vocabulary which have occurred can result in total confusion!
But which has changed?

Just as with my "table lamps", "standard lamps", "inspection lamps" and "headlamps", the "lamp" to which the OP was referring was a fitting/luminaire, not a "lamp which one plugs into the lamp" (aka a bulb!)!
I would think the term stems from the oil lamp or gas lamp, where the whole thing was the lamp and whose individual parts would not work on their own.
Then a lamp was invented where the adjoing parts were merely decorative and superfluous to the part which produced the light - the lamp.

That people call lots of things lamps these days does not mean they are correct.

Substitute luminaire for light if you wish but I have never heard anyone in the outside world use luminaire.

Perhaps your "table lamp" is not a lamp but a table light which contains a lamp.
Perhaps a car "head lamp" is a headlight which contains a lamp.
Perhaps a "lamp post" supports a street light which contains a lamp.

Just call the bit that produces the light the lamp and use another word for the rest of the fitting.
Either way nothing is going to change.

There only small fittings just fit new holders, you can get ones with 300mm leads like these, though I cant vouch for these there just an example.
Hard to tell by your pic what you have so check how there fitted, its usually 2 screws.
Buy ceramic ones not the plastic ones and avoid chinese cheap ones
Change all 3 if different height to existing
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CE-CERTIF...ight-Bulb-Halogen-LED-UK-SELLER-/222315930177

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
That people call lots of things lamps these days does not mean they are correct.
Well, in the past they certainly would have been correct ... but someone has subsequently done some 're-defining'. ....
Perhaps your "table lamp" is not a lamp but a table light which contains a lamp.
Perhaps a car "head lamp" is a headlight which contains a lamp.
Perhaps a "lamp post" supports a street light which contains a lamp.
Perhaps, now - but, as above, in most cases only because someone decided to change the language. I will agree that "headlight" and "headlamp" always seem to have been interchangeable - but your are old enough to know that "table lamp" (and many other types of "lamp") and "lamp post" originally meant.
Just call the bit that produces the light the lamp and use another word for the rest of the fitting. Either way nothing is going to change.
"Change back", you mean? If so, I agree - but it is unusual to find you supporting a change in meaning/use of words! Having said that, virtually every 'ordinary' person I know still talks of "bulbs", so nothing needs to be "changed back" for them!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I can see how the glass does with the fitting in question protect the user from the black UV light, however if it was mine I would not want G9 bulbs. It was not my mistake assuming you were using adaptors you called it a (G9 ES 42w = 60w equivalent) and I simply googled what you wrote.

Thanks 333rocky333 - I didn't realise I could change the base. Here's another photo - do you think they would fit?

I will then buy some LEDs (safer?) - this whole experience has put me right off G9s (that are not somehow enclosed in a fitting)
P1050020.JPG

You would have to dismantle the fitting, in the round base are the connections, the lampholders would need to come with wire long enough to reach there, they are precrimped, if the wire looks hard to thread through the arms then tie a drawwire onto the old one before removing it.

As said some vary in height so if thats a problem get dumpier ones or change all 3 to match, though carefull as Led are longer and you dont want them higher than the shade, Led might look crap with them shades as decent leds only light at the top and the lower half may be a bit darker

To be honest if you get the glass out, them holders will likely be ok, you could glue the ceramic bit back on proberly, it looks away from the electrical contact

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I refer the Honourable Gentleman to posts #26 and #27.
I think BAS's point was that the 'quality' of a G9 capsule is a characteristic of that capsule, and is not affected by whatever fitting it is put into.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back