Dangerous sparking from double plug socket - even when outlet switched off

Get a copy of the Collins DIY manual, it has chapters covering almost every aspect of your home, with clear explanations and illustrations. At the very least it will give you an idea of what's going on in your house when things go wrong.
You may not wish to tackle any DIY yourself, but if you have to get a tradesperson in again, you might have more insight into what they are doing and charging you for.

Sponsored Links
The electrician has been and apparently it was a bigger job than expected.

He showed me the 'earth' wire in the socket that was sparking and said it was completely exposed and it had burnt the red wire beside it. He then had to go out to the shed right outside the kitchen and fix the wiring in there (it was a white box in the shed. He said the wiring started in there and he had to fix the wiring from there to the socket and then install a new socket).

He stayed for around an hour and ended up charging £190. Hopefully that's OK?

I'm now a bit worried about possibly all the wires being badly maintained like that. It's an old terraced house. He told me that it's a possiblilty the whole house may need to be rewired but would cost around £4,000 - which I don't have, but of course if it's dangerous I'd have to find a way.
Don't see how the earth would burn the red wire, other way round yes as the red (live) carries the current. I would probably just clip back the red live wire to bare copper and likewise the earth, then re sleeve the earth and fix back firmly in their respective terminals. That would be the problem resolved but he's probably made the job bigger to justify his call out. Anyway its sorted it seems.

Is that actually the case?
Oh EFLI I did like that one :giggle: .

Anyway back to the OP.

Yes you`ve been given some good advice on here and as stated it would give us a better idea if you could give us a picture of the box in the shed.
It would also give us, perhaps, a better idea if you know where the mains comes in too. This might also be in the shed or nearby or somewhere else. Near your electric meter if you know where that is would be a good start.
You might a a consumer unit which is modern or old and has fuses or breakers onboard. You might have a few old metalclad switches and connections or porcelain about too.
All this could give us some ideas as "your starter for ten" so to speak but only so far, it really needs a pro to look.

The Electrician you got in could be a completely honest, fair, skilled bloke.
Some are not and some tend to "guild the Lilly" a bit to make a bit of extra cash, that`s human nature, we all tend to prefer to earn more rather than less.
Anyway, the more pics we can see of all relevant part then the better guidance we can give. But it is only guidance from a distance, it needs a proper look and a proper inspection either by someone else or the person you had in.

Sponsored Links
Not sure what you are indicating; is it actually a requirement?

Is there a regulation stating that the bare CPC must be sleeved?

I'm indicating that there was no requirement for sleeving pre 14th Edition.

The fact that sleeving was introduced in the 14th surely indicates a requirement to fit it from then on?

Yes!

When were you working in the industry from and until?

Edited for clarity.

Last edited:
Regulations regarding the identification of earth conductors:

14th Edition.

Reg. B54 and Table B4.
D28(iii) also refers to single earthing conductors needing a PVC covering, whereas previously they were a bare solid core conductor.

15th Edition.

524-3 and Table 52A.

16th Edition.

514-06-01 and Table 51B.

17th Edition.

514.4.6 and Table 51.

I don't have an 18th Edition. Maybe someone can help. But I think it is still 514.

Last edited:
Yes, but that is only for identification (and identification is not required "where there is no possibility of confusion").

There is no regulation stating the bare CPC must be insulated.

Yes, but that is only for identification (and identification is not required "where there is no possibility of confusion").

There is no regulation stating the bare CPC must be insulated.
I didn't realise you were talking about insulation...

I have never known a spark working under the 14th, 15th, 16th or 17th Editions to not sleeve the CPCs.

I must admit I have never noticed it as a regulation but I remember the common practice being bare earth then everybody started to sleeve it at about the 14th . I understood that it was primarily for identification but it was at least considered to be a more appropriate method because it added "some sort of minor insulation" properties too.

To be fair, EFLI, the question you asked was not about insulation, but sleeving.

Not sure what you are indicating; is it actually a requirement?

Is there a regulation stating that the bare CPC must be sleeved?
I wonder how my ECA check would have gone had I left all the sleeving off on my last rewire?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back