Dangerous sparking from double plug socket - even when outlet switched off

Sponsored Links
People might make it look easy but in reality I wouldn't say "easy".
Well i can only speak for myself.. And imo electrics is easy.

I went from being afraid of a switch.. To rewiring house and changing consumer units. Saving thousands.

The hardest part is crawling in attics, fishing cables, chasing walls, lifting T&G boards.. All things non-electric

Youtube and the posters on this forum have been absolutely brilliant. The advice on here is 2nd to none.

Still got plenty to learn.

Reactions: CBW

I went from being afraid of a switch.. To rewiring house and changing consumer units. Saving thousands.
OK, did you get it tested? As already mentioned joining wires may be easy but when it comes to verifying your work it's different.
The hardest part is crawling in attics, fishing cables, chasing walls, lifting T&G boards.. All things non-electric
I won't say hard, it's more of an effort to do those jobs.

Being an electrician means knowing all the terminologies, formulas and the guidelines.

Last edited:
Ok. Do as you are told regardless.
Thank you!

No but presumably the reason for sleeving is thought to be safety.
Who is presuming this?

But Harry said this:

The one good reason to sleeve is to reduce chances of the earth wire making contact with the live parts.
Then you replied:

Is the other way round not its purpose?

So, it might as well be bare, then?
See above.

I am puzzled that you think it is not isulation.
I don't. I've already said that.
Do you? If so, why?

Sponsored Links
@Playback1157 I'm terribly sorry for you but now the sparkies are having their usual thread killing debates.
Come back in a few days if you want to continue getting more advice.

In the mean time, perhaps you could take those photo's you have been asked for? (not that you need to if your getting someone professional to help you).

Youtube and the posters on this forum have been absolutely brilliant. The advice on here is 2nd to none.

Still got plenty to learn.
Very interesting. I sometimes wish that I had taken up electrical engineering and become an electrician.
Just a little worried about your user name, though.

Plenty of great vids on YouTube to 'safely' learn how to do basic domestic electrical work.
unfortunately there is also a lot of horrible crap and bovine excretia on there. The problem with that is a poster starts getting a very good reputation and people start believing him/her/them, every last detail, every I cossed and T dotted. The trouble is many proper electricians know the difference.

Bear in mind the main reason for their posts is not to educate, it's to earn money or gain fame/infamy. That trait goes through their everyday life as I discovered after attending a property to rectify one of those posters (very incorrect) EICR and saved the landlord a lot of money on his work of fiction.

Last edited:

Playback1157.​

Sorry, yes this thread has degenerated a bit and I admit I have played my part in this.
However, I hope you have gained from the helpful advice also given and will furnish some pictures for us to help further or to understand what you were/are up against.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back