Dangerous support under steel beam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening,

I am doing a single story house extension. Builders I have hired have demolished ouside wall to connect an existing house with new extension. They have installed steel beam according to the plans. My worry is that looking at the support it doesn't seem very stable as they have in demolishing process removed some of the bricks in lower part of the support. They are saying that they will fill the gaps with brick and mortar and it should be ok. Is this true? Is this sufficient or should there be taken any other measure? Please take a look at attached pictures.
Thank you for any response.
Cheers
Ben

Attachments

• 20191003_190001.jpg
    20191003_190001.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 530
  • 20191003_190356.jpg
    20191003_190356.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 518
Sponsored Links
By covering the entire area in mortar, they’ve hidden whatever support may or may not be there, so hard to say. The condition of the pier further down is a bit worrying too.
Edit: unless it’s a cast in situ padstone. Doesn’t really look like one though

By covering the entire area in mortar, they’ve hidden whatever support may or may not be there, so hard to say. The condition of the pier further down is a bit worrying too.
Edit: unless it’s a cast in situ padstone. Doesn’t really look like one though

Yes the top bit of concrete is a cast in situ padstone. That is ok. The part that I'm worried about is the bottom part with missing brick. They are saying that they will repair it with brick and mortar but is this sufficient?
Thank you.

Attachments

• Inked20191003_190001_LI.jpg
    Inked20191003_190001_LI.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 332
How would you expect them to rebuild the brick pier apart from in bricks and mortar :?::!: ( assuming it is bonded in properly )

Sponsored Links
Yeah, just make sure they key bricks in properly rather than just chucking mortar in all the gaps.

Ok great. So I have nothing worried about then? That is what they said, they will fill the parts where the brick is missing with brick and mortar. You have no idea how big of a relieve this all is. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

That’s for your building inspector to decide. It looks like a chunky steel and I don’t know what was specified bearing wise in the calcs.

It wouldve been better if they had made good before putting the steel in, but it makes little difference, the steel is resting on the acrows.

They cant put in cut bricks, it needs full bonding, which is more awkward with the acrow in the way.

it should be ok
Yes, I agree that it should. :rolleyes:

But to ensure that it would, they need to rebuild the entire jamb, and bond the inner to the outer leaf.

And what is that awful mess at the top intended to hide?

Get your building inspector in to have a look before they cover up and bodge it some more.

It doesn't look sufficient. That's a big steel presumibly holding a big weight?

Does it have a small lean also? Like the section it's sitting on is coming away from the wall?

I personally couldn't rest easy knowing the support looked like that.

Ok. Thank you very much for your comments everybody. I will have the building inspector to decide. Hopefully it will not be covered up by then.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back