Dark Room Extraction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

Just installed a vent axia solo plus ht extractor fan. obviously to keep the room 100% dark the fan comes with shutters but once fan is on the shutters open and light can come into the room.
from what i have read you need 3 90* bends to prevent this from happening. vent axia sent me a pointless cowl to supplement the external grill. just wondering if anyone knows of any products i can use?

regards,
carl

Sponsored Links
You can buy dedicated dark room fans (have a look online) but they are hideously expensive - probably because of the high extraction rate required for a dark room.

You could fit a 4" rectangular adaptor and three black 90° rectangular bends. These will be more compact than 4" round bends. It may be a bit noisy though.

Alternatively/additionally you could build a box around the fan inside, so that the intake is out of sight.

Sponsored Links
Is there space to build an internal light proof box over the fan ?

Fan sucks from centre of one side. Ring of holes around the periphery of the other side take air from the dark room.

Inside the box are two baffles to create the necessary bends in the air way
Circular box say 6 inches thick and 2 foot diameter. Circular wall around the fan and a second , larger radius wall inside the ring of holes.

Hello!

Thanks to all for your replies it has given me some ideas.

the client purchased the fan himself "including extracting kit" i.e. a grey 4" round ceiling dome which vent axia said was required to prevent light entering. The link below is the fan purchased.

http://www.firstcall-photographic.c...ventaxia/ventaxia-solo-plus-ht-extractor-fan/

Here is the cowl he was also supplied.

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?i...en&lr=&rlz=1G1ACAW_ENUK332&sa=N&start=21&um=1

this cowl is for lead slates not wall mounting...

Any how the fan has been installed flush in the ceiling with a round 4" hole going outside.

I'm in need of a grill of some description which will not let the light enter.

One other thing, after installing this fan designed for dark rooms i turned it on to realise it has a blue led light! made me laugh.

once again, thanks for your replies!

carlos

It's not a darkroom fan though - it's a bog standard bathroom fan...

I'd go with the black waste pipe bends as has already been suggested.

By the way, the exact same fan is £50 cheaper from Screwfix!

Steve

Hello,

Thanks for your replies.

I intended on putting a vent axia in-line fan in the void and duct it out via lead slate - problem solved. client insisted that wouldnt be good enough. and said he would buy fan so i left him too it!

problem resolved though made a black box with 2x 90* bends. managed to make it 110mmx110mm 90mm deep with a slot in the middle.

ventilation has also been taken into concideration and other means have solv ed that issue.

bill has just been sent :D

many thanks to those who helped me.

carlos

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back