Dash lights stay on!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, I have a Vauxhall Midi van with a 2.4TD engine on a 97 plate with 98,000 miles on the clock and for the last 2 or 3 weeks after starting the dash lights have stayed on, sometimes I get about a mile away from home before they go out with a click from the dash area. If it is dark and I have my headlights on they are dim until the dash lights go out.Also, the heater fan does not come on until they are out. Could it be shorting out or the more expensive alternator? The battery seems to charge ok and no problems starting. Any help is much appreciated.
Cheers. Kev.

Sponsored Links
Your starter motor may be sticking on, this being a very heavy current drain, would account for some of the symptoms you have described.

Wotan

Could you just be a wee bit more specific as to which dash lights you are talking about?

Could you just be a wee bit more specific as to which dash lights you are talking about?

Sorry I should have mentioned this. They are the battery light, the brake light and the fuel filter light.
I have just looked in the hand book and for the fuel filter light it says "Lights up when water needs draining from the filter" it has been a bit hesitant just lately aswell, could this be the answer to both problems?
Thanks for replies so far. Kev.

Sponsored Links
It sounds as though you have an alternator problem, the voltage is not coming up to normal straight away, it could be that the belt is slipping. Connect a voltmeter across your battery when you first start, it should read around 14 volts. It obviously is charging or your battery would go flat, but its not charging at its full output when you start.

It sounds as though you have an alternator problem, the voltage is not coming up to normal straight away, it could be that the belt is slipping. Connect a voltmeter across your battery when you first start, it should read around 14 volts. It obviously is charging or your battery would go flat, but its not charging at its full output when you start.

My first thoughts were the altenator, the battery did go flat twice last week when it was really cold but it has been ok since. I primed the fuel filter earlier and put a volt meter over my battery on tickover when the dash lights were on (or so i thought) and it read 12v, then i looked at the dash and the lights had gone out :rolleyes: this reading went upto 13.1v when I revved the engine. Is this below par?
It seems weird to me how the lights just flick off, I thoght the battery light would come on gradually if the alt was on its way out.
What are the chances of getting replacment brushes?
Thanks again. Kev.
P.S. I am loving this site. What a gem.

Hi Kev

13.1v is not enough to keep the battery fully charged, you need 14v or more, check the belt first if tha's OK you need an alternator I'm afraid.

Moder cars have a system that doesn't allow certain items to operate until the voltage rises above a predetermined level, because of the slow rise there is a delay.

I don't think the problem is likely to be brushes, they dont do much work in an alternator, more like the voltage regulator or diodes, you can try brushes, you might be lucky. Have a look on ebay for an alternator, they are usually a pretty good price there, or a secondhand one would be even cheaper.

Peter

I have ordered an alternator from Ebay, it should be here in a day or 2. I will let you know when I have fitted it. I found a video on Youtube of an alternator on its way out, and it was making a horrible clicking noise, and if you listen carefully over the noise of the Isuzu engine in mine you can here the same clicking so hopefully it will be quieter as well.

Kev

Indeed this is an alternator fault...the voltage regulator within will only allow charging when the alternator spins at a certain RPM - this is known as the cut in speed, surprisingly enough. When the cut in speed is reached (1000 RPM approx) the alternator starts charging, and continues to charge at speeds lower than 1000 RPM.
The click you heard would be a relay operating ignition accessories, I would imagine.
John :)

I have the same problem on my 95 2.2 diesel, except the battery, brake and fuel filter lights never go out. After reading this I put my voltmeter across the battery when the engine was ticking over and it read over 14 volts. Do you still think I could have an alternator problem?

Probably not, a bad earth connection to the instrument panel is more likely.

Sponsored Links
Back