Dashcams

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for a decent front & rear dashcam and wonder if anyone has any suggestions.
I'm finding for the rear camera the mounting seems to be a small metal plate that you attach with screws. I would prefer, either a sticky pad or suction cup mounting. Budget up to about £100 for a good quality one that is going to stay in place without falling off when I go over a bump in the road.

Sponsored Links
Many of them also come with sticky pads and if not you can buy them cheaply too and they stick like the proverbial to a blanket bumps and all.

I was looking at this the other day: the concentration is on how clear the image is, principally if it will allow clear reading of number plates.

If you want to go into in more depth, it gives some detail about how few manufacturers there are of the key components and which components may give better - or at least different - results. in the multitude of different brands.

Sponsored Links
My wife has ordered me an Orskey, similar to hers, but a newer model, when I was out today.
She has had hers for about 3 years now and not had any problems so I'll give it a go. Wouldn't be the right thing to refuse after all she has done. ;)

I recommend ring dash cams the 3000 model has won a few awards, and is relatively affordable.

It's much better than the Chinese rubbish on Amazon

Well I've recently bought 2...

I'm likely to send them back as they do not always start recording when powered up - so frustrating especially when you need a recording to show to people.

Regarding my post above, #5, I've just sent my dashcam back after 6 months.
After the very hot weather we had a few weeks ago, it started playing up. Sometimes it would switch on when the ignition was turned on, other times it would switch off when driving, then com back on a few minutes later.

Just about to look on-line for a new one.

I've got a Toyota with all round cameras built in

Oddly, there doesn't seem to be a recording device that can use them.

You could visit this site: https://dashcamtalk.com/ for further advice.
I have found them very useful.

Sorry. I should have added to go to the forum section. No, it's not all American, looking at the $ signs. There are a lot of Brits and Europeans there too!

Last edited:
Out of your budget but I'm happy with my VIOFO A229 Duo however it can't read moving plates at night. I'm not sure anything can though. I find VIOFO at least reliable in terms of operation, I've fitted the 129 and the 229 both have worked well.

I've got a Toyota with all round cameras built in

Oddly, there doesn't seem to be a recording device that can use them.
Doesn't that defeat the whole object? Or do you mean you can't record onto an external device?

The cameras are provided to help parking in tight spaces, and when reversing.

They do not have a recording facility. I don't know why.

3 of our vehicles have next base units in them. Probably over you budget but we’ve never had any issues with them

Sponsored Links
Back