Who has a dashcam?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thinking about a dashcam for the vehicle and was wondering if anyone has suggestions?

Is it worth paying more for a front and back one? The cheaper ones sold in the usual DIY shops mostly come with just front record?

Seen some seriously dodgy stuff on the road the past two weeks, (maybe the heat?). It's made me think about getting one.

Had my eye on this one : https://www.screwfix.com/p/ring-rbgdc50-ring-dc50-hd-dash-camera/7759h

12 year warranty but excluse the micro SD card, and the price is right. I'd like to avoid paying more than £100.

Sponsored Links
I have two single cameras, one in the front and one in the back. I have had dual cameras before but if one packs up it can affect the service of the remaining one.
Now if one packs up I would only need to buy a single lens one again. Much cheaper than forking out for a dual one.
Make sure you buy one suitable for Europe, not Asia or America especially if you buy a dual one. The rear camera tends to capture the image in reverse and if you reverse that image it also reverses the other image so now that one is back to front.
Well worth getting one because it can be used as evidence in any insurance claim.
Just looked at the one you have selected and it records at 25 fps. Go for a higher fps because the slower ones can give jerky shots if you try to play a video frame by frame. I found on one that was 30fps, if I stopped a video to catch an oncoming car registration and it was blurred, at the next frame the car was alongside me. Can't remember the makes of my two at the moment but they are 60 fps and cost under £100. (So the wife tells me, lol).
By the way, you say a 12 year guarantee instead of 12 months. ;)

Sponsored Links
Bean meaning todo for a while I need a front and back fir my van. Solid at the back so not sure they exist

Last edited by a moderator:
You can get external cameras but not looked into them so don't know how they mount etc.
I also have a sticker on my rear window advising there is an In Car Camera Recording. Doesn't always work as I still get the odd idiot doing something stupid, but them they obviously don't look at the vehicle they are overtaking.

Try watching this:

If I could afford one Id get one of these, or 2 individual cams.

Techmoan is a good reviewer of dashcams.

You need sideways looking ones as well to catch the scammers who invite you to pull out and then ram you.

I have a Lidi one, mainly as a very wide angle lens and used inside building to take photos, as stills 12 Mp which is not bad. As a dash cam in real time it locks the footage if you bang it, otherwise it auto records over it, at one frame a second it does not auto record over footage.

With a reasonable size card it will record at one frame a second for a long time, it auto starts when it gets supply, internal batteries do not last long, tried taping on a phone recharge battery and using on my push bike, OK at real time, but at one frame per second the camera moves too much on the bike. I need a better mount.

Real time it is rather boring watching footage, but at one frame a second it is a reasonable record of trips, specially holidays.

As to with a crash can you use the one frame a second I don't know, but it does capture most events. But not allowed to restrict drivers view, and passenger is not really impressed with a camera in front of them, mounted low enough to be out of way and most of the picture is of your own bonnet, so mine no longer in car, it is in camera bag.

The odd thing is I can use the dash cam and no one complains, but use my camera and you get complaints my children are in your picture. Would like something so I can use it like the Police do, so it takes photos of everything in front of me, and I can decide later if I want them. i.e. mounted on my chest.

crashes happen too fast for 1fps to be of much use, its a false economy.

For the other thing try a go pro affixed to a chest harness, hidden underneath your jacket.

Bean meaning todo for a while I need a front and back fir my van. Solid at the back so not sure they exist
They fix to the roof at the back, look at delivery vans with a little black box high up.

I have one for in my van. I know white van drivers generally carry a bad name as drivers but I've found that when I'm in my van, people expect me to be able to stop anything up to 3.5t in weight as quick as a 125cc dirt bike. Always getting cut up or just not seen so I thought it would be ideal. The only time I think it would be a benefit for a rear-view cam too is if someone were to rear-end you and make off.

A lot of people take clips of dodgey driving and send them off to one of various youtubers who stick them all together to make a weekly scrap book. Personally think it's a bit pointless and I don't send any clips off. I have it for the intended purpose of recording an accident I'm involved in.

They fix to the roof at the back, look at delivery vans with a little black box high up.

They're usually just reversing/parking cams and don't always offer record capability.

I have one for in my van. I know white van drivers generally carry a bad name as drivers but I've found that when I'm in my van, people expect me to be able to stop anything up to 3.5t in weight as quick as a 125cc dirt bike. Always getting cut up or just not seen so I thought it would be ideal. The only time I think it would be a benefit for a rear-view cam too is if someone were to rear-end you and make off.

A lot of people take clips of dodgey driving and send them off to one of various youtubers who stick them all together to make a weekly scrap book. Personally think it's a bit pointless and I don't send any clips off. I have it for the intended purpose of recording an accident I'm involved in.

They're usually just reversing/parking cams and don't always offer record capability.
Cheers didn’t know that.
Dont some police forces ask for recordings of bad driving?

Cheers didn’t know that.
Dont some police forces ask for recordings of bad driving?

If they do or don't, I'm not prepared to do their work for them. The only time I would submit a tape is if it directly affected me; I've never seen anything where you could anonymously submit tapes to them either so I'm not sure what other processes they have in place.

Sponsored Links
Back