Data Cables with Power Cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it ok to install an RJ45 socket and a 13A socket in opposite sides of a dual galvanised box? Does the galv box provide sufficient separation? What distance does the Cat5e and 2.5 T&E need to be when run down the wall?

Sponsored Links
Yep, not a problem. Dual boxes are supplied with a little divider. Just make sure that is in place.

Sponsored Links
How does Power over ethernet work without interfering? Always wondered, done a few wireless installs lately using poe to the access points.

As the power side of POE runs on DC inductance/capacitance isn't a problem, as wikipedia states they use a differential system so they will reject noise as any noise on the system ought to effect both the twisted wires hence is cancelled out.

I meant from surrounding if not segregated corrected.

The purpose of twisted pairs are so both the conductors has equal noise induced into them. At the end of the circuit the difference is measured between the two conductors and as both wires have equal noise on them, the resulting differential signal has no (or greatly reduced) noise.
Best bet as you say is to avoid having noise induced in the first place.

Yes, but you might find an 8P8C socket more versatile than an RJ45.
Ah, so it's not just me then :rolleyes:

And, the dual box needs to be earthed. In theory it should be earthed via the (mains) socket fixing screws, but I'm a bit old school and like to explicitly earth the backbox.

In terms of spacing, there are two issues. One is safety, the other is interference. As long as they are segregated by an unbroken (solid) barrier (such as the conduit) up the wall then there is no minimum spacing requirement to satisfy the safety requirement.
"Several inches" is recommended to avoid interference, but it's common in dado trunking installations for them to be quite close together - if using the bottom section of a 3 section dado then the cables in that may be under an inch from the ones in the bottom of the middle section. Unless you happen to have a particularly electrically noisy environment then I'd not expect to see problems - I can't say I've observed any at work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back