Daylight factor calculator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone know of a calculator for Average Daylight Factor. I've got the formula but some Excel wiz kid must have made up a spread sheet for it somewhere.

Sponsored Links
The formula is DF = MWuT/A(1-R^2 )

Where:

W = total glazed area
A = total of room surfaces
R = reflectance of room surfaces (default is 0.5)
M = correction for dirt factor (1.0 for normal accessible windows)
T = glass transmission factor (0.6 for low-e double glazing)
u = angle of visible sky (default is 65°)

I've tried to work up a spreadsheet but I keep getting weird results and I can't work out where I'm going wrong. It's giving me daylight factors of 0.7 to 0.8 for fairly standard window sizes. The minimum specified by code for sustainable homes is 1.5% for living and bedrooms which means I'd have to double the size of the room windows to comply. Which doesn't sound right to me.

I've had a go, but with no test data to put in I'm not sure it works as it should.

Here's the link (google spreadsheet).

Could you give me some units and test data?

Sponsored Links
John, This subject is not our field, but we came across this link a while ago.
It's in old money but have shuffti. If it is not what you are seeking, sorry.
oldun:cool: :cool:

Daylight Factor Calculation Tool Version 1.01
File Format: Microsoft Excel - View as HTML
The spreadsheet tool uses fundamental algorithms and has been bench tested against ... To see grid points with similar daylight factor values, press the “Do ...
www.msbg.umn.edu/downloads_v2_1/5IEQ_App-I-3_V2-1.xls - Similar:cool:

Steve, spot on. Using a random example your sheet gets a factor of 1.26 where mine gets 0.7...odd

Looking at your spreadsheet formula I can see that I had a pair of brackets in the wrong place.

Thanks for that. I owe you one.

oldun. Thanks for the link. As you can see, thanks to stevehuws, I think I'm sorted now.

Dear Sir,

I am looking for the formula to calculate the daylight factor (not the average one but the real one). If I go to the link and I download the sheet it doesn't work... :/ could you help me please?

Do you steal have it?

Best regards.

Nicolas

oldun. Thanks for the link. As you can see, thanks to stevehuws, I think I'm sorted now.

Hi, is this link to the wrong google doc? This spreadsheet doesn't contain avg daylight factor formula.....
Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back