Dealing with and preventing blue mould on finishing timber

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've noticed the start of mould staining on some exposed timber, possibly due to condensation.

I plan to treat the wood with Sika preservative which I hope will stop it reoccurring but since this is visible timber is like to reduce the staining if possible.

We will probably be treating the wood with a stain later which should mask this to an extent?

Any product recommendations or tips how to combat this sort of issue welcome.

Sponsored Links
I've noticed the start of mould staining on some exposed timber, possibly due to condensation.

I plan to treat the wood with Sika preservative which I hope will stop it reoccurring but since this is visible timber is like to reduce the staining if possible.

We will probably be treating the wood with a stain later which should mask this to an extent?

Any product recommendations or tips how to combat this sort of issue welcome.

Symptom of poorly seasoned timber, only real way of remedy is find a better timber supplier, you can mask the blue stains but you can't really eliminate them.

Well they weren't stained until they got damp, but anyway we have it installed now so a new supplier isn't an option.

What are the best method of masking it?
If we'd applied preservative immediately would it have stopped it - is doing so now likely to stop it getting worse?

What are we talking about timber wise? Skirting boards?

AFAIK the mould is the result of excessive moisture. Did you store the timber outside prior to fitting it? If yes, and assuming that the timber is no longer in a damp environment, I would expect it will be ok.

With regards to removing the existing blue mould, sorry, can't help. I have never experienced it.

Sponsored Links
Roof boards. I think we've had condensation inside since the insulation isn't yet on, similar to how you do in new double glazing.

No concerns about the the wood itself, just the cosmetics.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back