Dear Ban All Sheds.

that opinion is only valid providing that a suitable and safe installation method is used... not just bodged like te existing is..

Sponsored Links
Rip it all out and get it done correctly, god only knows what else you may have buried in your property.

Your electric shower is probably on 1.5mm T&E!!!!

You've got to decorate so do it now, and, you'll have peace of mind knowing it is right.

My best advice to you would be this:

Based on what you've already uncovered, I would commission a periodic ASAP.

Sponsored Links
And (serious suggestion, this) - borrow a load of 1-3kW heaters from friends & family and some extension leads, and hire a thermal imaging camera.

Load up your circuits (including lighting ones) to just over the rating of the breakers, so 1.6-1.7kW on a lighting circuit, 8.5 - 9kW on a socket one (the extension leads are to keep the heaters out of the room you're checking ;) ) and photograph the walls, looking for the warm traces of where the cables are....

Ahh, your not the only one there then BAS, I've done that twice, amazing what I picked up!

Definately buying myself a Flir when business picks up.

Actually Bas that is not a bad idea. I will look into that when I get time.

But thank you all for your concern.

The wiring in the kitchen is diabolical I know. I only wanted some advice on what I could run on the 10mm twin flat.

The rest of the house is fine I am sure. Why...
1. It is untouched since the house was built.
2. The last owner had altered the kitchen and cooker wiring. I knew this. I just didn't know what he had done till I went poking around. He has not done anything else.
3. I had a new CU with RCD fitted last year (part-p electrician) and the whole property was tested at the same time as well and I got a certificate through the post. He also said through conversation that the results he was getting were very good whatever they were???
4. I don't have an electric shower to run on 1.5mm.
5. I have 5 smoke detectors and a carbon monoxide detector.

I realise you are all concerned about my DANGEROUS house but can someone just give me an idea what I can run on the 10mm cooker supply if I use an electric oven and gas hob?

I am almost sorry I asked!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back