Deck boards bowed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can someone help me out here , I have bought some deck boards and frame has been done and I've started putting the deck boards done but as I'm going along the boards are really bowed . They are straight onto the last boards in the middle of the board and bow out at the ends to leave gaps, how can l pull it in at the ends to make the boards look better with just a small gap between the boards...

Sponsored Links
Were they from Wickes by any chance! I ordered 45 boards from them and ended up changing 28 of them because of bows, splits, knots etc.

I ended up using a bolster to try and lever the border closer, and if you have a noggin near it you can use this for leverage with something bigger (a bar) but just have to be careful as my boards dented quite easily. You also might be able to bend the ends in manually, if you first take out the fixings for 2 - 3 joists before the end. Then you end up with the opposite problem of the gap closing for those fixings you took out, and here I just wiggled in the bolster to get the gap back. If that makes sense?

Not all of my gaps came out exactly the same, and I ended up with a 15mm difference between both ends of the decking. However unless someone gets a tape measure it wouldn't be noticed.

Sponsored Links
TBH ray316, I would be doing as suggested and taking the boards back to your suppliers. They are clearly not FFP. Better getting straight ones and fitting them than having the headaches.

Just IMHO though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back