Deck footing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm building a deck that's attached to my house (50cm high at it's highest point). I'd like it to last as long as possible so instead of burying the uprights in the ground, I'm looking at putting them in shoes (pictured) which go 20cm into cubes of concrete, 30cm deep and 30cm across, and none of the wood will be in the ground.
Does this sound solid? I know the usual method recommended goes ~50cm into the ground, but then why are those concrete elephant feet things acceptable?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220420-175521__01__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20220420-175521__01__01.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yes as long as no wood in ground contact I will be good.
I'm doing similar but just dig down to subsoil, lay a 300x300x150d foundation and then brick pier up to joist level then sit the joist directly on top. Probably a bit more labour then yours.
Make sure you use decent durable timber, in theory softwood needs to be bs8417 use class 3 or 4, but good luck getting hold of that. Most places haven't heard of it.

Sponsored Links
You can also use concrete spurs in the ground, bolting your wooden frame to them.

The load in decking is almost all vertical, unlike a fence that will blow over, so you don't need to fill the post holes with a lot of concrete.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back