Deck footings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New to the forum although I have got a lot of useful stuff from it over the years.

I am in the process of landscaping my new build and I am about to deck the large (20m x 5m) area at the rear of the house.

My original plan was to patio it and I now have 300mm of compacted hardcore over the entire area.

I have seen conflicting advice on fitting deck posts (either to 400mm or 600mm) set in concrete whilst others suggest I could get away with a floating deck.

Will compacted hardcore be sufficient to support the deck without worrying about frost movement etc or should I start digging.

I must admit having just finished fencing the place I don't fancy digging out another 60 odd post holes if I can avoid it.

Sponsored Links
Hardcore may move unevenly over time, or sink directly under each joist, and timber is better off not laid directly on surface to avoid it being constantly damp.

Consider a dense concrete block as a pad with the joist spanned between, and some DPC between it and the timber.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back