Deck plan check

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've created a plan for a deck outside my summerhouse (square with corner cut off) -

and was hoping that people more clued up than me could have a quick check that the bearer pattern would be OK for the planned deck. Units are in mm and the bearers are going to be 50x100 (2" x 4") treated timber.

Thanks for your help!

Andy

Sponsored Links
I'm no expert :LOL: - just doing my first deck as well LOL

But a couple of points - your pic does not seem to scale up to have all dimensions clear in my browser - might cause the real experts some probs if they don't have all the details to assist you ;)

1) I just discovered on delivery of my deck boards 38x125mm - that those dimensions are 'nominal' - and that the actual boards are 30x119mm - which if like me you had assumed 125mm wide + 4mm gap or whatever - you will be a few boards short for your plan!

2) I looked at doing the diagonal deck style too - but I believe that it is recommended to use 300 mm centres for the joists not 400!

3) I was recommended 150 x 47 for joists - my deck is 6m x 4m in 2 lots of 3x4 frames.

HTH :mrgreen:

Ah, good point about the 'nominal' dimensions! Will order a few extra boards.

The actual drawing is much clearer but I had to put in in .jpg format to be accepted into my DIYnot album:)

Will have a look at the 150x47 bearers...

thanks for the pointers!

Sponsored Links
no problem with 400 centres. definetly 6 x 2, sturdier and less posts needed. picture look s ok but too small to get all the detail

not putting any blocking in between the bearers for rigidity?

easiest way is to run a 6 x 2 under the joists at 90 degrees to them, but to be honest, once the deck planks are on, it wont move anywhere

Thanks for the help guys, it's very much appreciated as always.
Graphite - nice Sketchup lol I was using Visio...

Should have posted this sooner - the deck was completed and I'm really happy with the result thanks to all the help on here:)

DSCF1075.jpg

DSCF1076.jpg

Very nice - well done you!

Would you do anything differently if you did it all over again?

Definitely do not use concrete pads! Make the effort to dig holes for the posts as this makes life much easier in the long run. I might have also made it slightly bigger but it fits quite nicely in the available space as it is. All round I'm chuffed to monkeys lol

Definitely do not use concrete pads! Make the effort to dig holes for the posts as this makes life much easier in the long run.

Hmmm, that IS something advocated on here time and time again, after all.

Enjoy the deck in this late summer sunshine!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back