Decking - Double checking base plan...

Hi guys!
Just thought I would give you a quick update, and another quick ask for help!

Here is a picture of what we have laid out so far (not screwed together yet though, just laid out to give us an idea as to what we need to do next)

decking_initial_lay.jpg

It seems as though the path is too low at the back end of the garden to support the joists, it would give the decking too much of a slope.

So my next question - supports! My feeling is a post for each corner bolted in rather than scrwed, then cemented in. Then supports for each long joists in the middle...

Sponsored Links
Yes concrete in some posts, 1 in each of the bottom corners.

Each joist needs supported every 1.5m so if you can't pack them off the path you need a post concreted in.

Long screws like timerloks are fine or coach bolts if you prefer.

I have been thinking along the lines of decking a area out our back thats slabed. I want to build it up on joists obviously but was unsure how to support the joists.

Sticking posts into the ground seems a tad medieval to me. I want it to last as long as possible. I was thinking along the lines of sitting it on single block on flat piers with a dpc for the joists to sit on. The deck must be heavy enough to sit unfixed and allow it to expand/contract freely.

Just A thought. No?

If you have a stable base such as a concrete slab then just pack it off that with any old masonary, the posts are used in areas such as former lawns or flower beds and setting up a frame with the correct falls is so much quicker using posts rather than putting in lots of small piers.

It sounds like the piers are less work until you actually build a deck and then you quickly realise why its done with posts.

Sponsored Links
dont forget the span increases by 40percent at 45 degrees

so at say 450mm centers the span will be around 630mm

just take your desired span and deduct 28.5 percent to keep the centers you want at 45 degrees
in other words the need to be closer by 28.5% to give the same support at 45 degrees

Here's a link to my decking, which I've almost finished (now ordering balustrade to enhance the overall look).

//www.diynot.com/forums/garden/decking-concrete-posts-or-embedded-slabs.321136/

I can tell you from experience, that 6x2 is not necessary, and will only add to your costs, I used 4x2 and the decking is seriously robust. It's your call either way but I thought my comments might help.... ;)

Hi all,
Just thought I would update this thread with where I am at! I have been increadably busy with other stuff such as work and commitments with frients and family, and the weather has not helped but managed to start the last part of it today, the planter at the front of the decking... almost done - yay!!
318090_10151055121102442_24286542_n.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back