Decked area over a step

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all. I would love to have a simple decked area at the back of my house. We want to have it right at the screen door so you can walk straight out on to the deck.
Any of the diy tutorials I’ve seen online shows how to build a decking over soil or a soft ground surface. How does it differ building it on top of these paving stones? And would I need to remove the current step or can I build the deck on top of the step?

Attachments

• DD6B4398-BB0B-4F16-BDE2-3F7FE66E1BC7.jpeg
    DD6B4398-BB0B-4F16-BDE2-3F7FE66E1BC7.jpeg
    428.5 KB · Views: 113
Sponsored Links
I've never done decking so check out anything I may suggest.

I don't see much of a problem decking over the flags. To my mind you will need a sub-structure timber frame that is level and high enough that your decking flows across the step.
There doesn't appear to be any manhole covers that you need access to so I think it would be a straight forward project.
Google decking construction methods and see if it gives you any ideas on what size timbers you need to use, how to prevent damp rising up the supports etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back