Decking frame and weed membrane

mpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya folks (thermo and wabbitpoo)

Ive built the frame for my decking and I need some weed membrane. I have read somewhere that you put the membrane on top of the frame so mine would be 6 inch off the ground.

That way would be much easier now the frame is built. Would this still work or does it have to be on the ground. Cant find the aticle on why its better on the frame. If i remember its something to do with exsisting weeds still pushing through but if its off the ground they will die at ground level.

Cheers for the help

Sponsored Links
Just found another referance to putting the weed membrane on top by thermo In a post about rats so thats ok

Any preferance to which membrane B&Q do 3 or more.

I always put it on the ground, covered by gravel. This helps prevent weed growth by preventing light reaching any seeds and roots down there. You can also put it over the joists, which means you cant see the underneath at all, and things dropped don't fall through the gaps. Just make sure that the membrane is water-pemeable in either case.

Sponsored Links
my preference for over the frame is as follows:-

no weeds can find there way between the frame and through the deck as i have seen on many decks

it prevents anything falling through

looks better in my opinion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back