raised decking weed membrane & fitting advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just completed a raised deck frame which due to a sloping garden some parts of the deck are only 6 inch and others 36in. It is supported by concreted posts.
I need to suppress weeds before nailing the deck to he frame.
I have read on this site that a membrane called PLANTEX would be the best option.
1- where can I buy this product from?
2-Does it let water through no bother ?
3- can i staple to the top of the deck (which I have read is good to do) even though the frame is high on places.
4- if it has to go on the ground what is the best installation method as I will need to go round quite a few posts and lay through dwangs every 600.

Can post a picture of the frame if it helps at all

Thank you very much for any help

Sponsored Links
Personally I lay it on the ground, pinned down with wire.

Use any black weed membrane you can get, or black plastic.

Of course, better to lay it BEFORE making the frame ( :D ) but just feed it under and cut around the posts. Fiddly, but do-able.

If its any help I laid a similar deck and did not put any membrane down. Provided the boards are reasonably close together then it is too dark for plants to grow under the deck. The odd one that grows round the edge is easily delt with. If you are going to plant around the deck then your plants will cast shade so nothing will sprout round the edge of the deck.
Also I did use plastic membrane under another earlier deck but the strong winds that we have just had pulled it up and blew it away! I am not going to replace it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back