Decking handrail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The builder who built my deck did a good job as far as I can see with the exception of the handrail.

He positioned 3 in x 3in posts at 6 foot intervals along the edge which is 4 foot above the garden. Where the post meets the deck he cut them halfway through and split the post, leaving a further 1 foot of (half thickness) post butting down the front of the deck which he screwed back into the deck.

The problem is that the handrail sways alarmingly when you lean against it. I have looked at a lot of things on the internet, (lots of really nice pictures of handrails that seem to just sit on the deck etc), without working out how to build one that won't wobble when you lean.

Any advice very gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
what are the posts attached to!!!!!

just the decking !!!!
decking and joist/board underneath!!

is the full ft supported!!!

If you just have a straight run of railings, you'e gonna get a bit more "play" in the structure, so they need extra bracing to the sub-frame. Can you get piccies?

Better still, get him back and raise it with hm!

Sponsored Links
if they are face fitted they will never be as strong as when they are fitted inside the frame. Having said that you can still get a decent fixing using either timberlocks or bolting through the handrail and the timber behind. SCrews wont be sufficent.

in faq

Can I post Images?
Images can indeed be shown in your posts. However, there is no facility at present for uploading images directly to this board. You can email your picture to [email protected] and details of the post you wish it to appear in and we can upload it for you. Therefore you must link to an image stored on a publicly accessible web server, e.g. http://www.some-unknown-place.net/my-picture.gif. You cannot link to pictures stored on your own PC (unless it is a publicly accessible server) nor images stored behind authentication mechanisms, e.g. hotmail or yahoo mailboxes, password protected sites, etc. To display the image use either the BBCode

Thanks for that. I should have spotted that myself, sorry.

R

http://www.imageshock.eu/?img=deck2.jpg

If this works, I for one will be very surprised, (technically incompetent).

The post as seen nails into fascia boards, not into joists etc. I can't get the builder to come back. The bit that sticks down is approximately 8 inches.

Any guidance, as ever, much appreciated.

Bit of a bodge. Nails are a no no, the weight of anyone leaning against the post will just push the nails out. and judging by the rust they didn't use exterior/galvanised nails, schoolboy error or shameful penny pinching?

~ The nails look like they are in the diagonal cladding, correct? There must be some sort of screw/nails going into the post through the frame on the other side, but even that's inadequate.
There should be a bolt or three going through the post and into a framing joist of no less than 6x2. You're probably gonna have to take these posts off and refix, or replace.

That's a bit of a wierd picture, the lighting/angle reminds me of one of those isometric don't-make-sense drawings by Escher.

Many thanks Deluks. There have been other examples of a job not well done I am afraid.

I will check the other side, am not sure if there are further nails going in there.

I am resolved to replacing the handrail, I just don't know how to do it avoiding the current wobble problem (I'll have to do it myself as the money has now gone). So any guidance would be great.

R

PS Apologies for pic, I am not very good at these sort of things.

where in the country are you? if near me I'd stop by to give some free advice (for the price of a cuppa!)

That wood looks like its been in the garden for several years. Has it? The vertical member appears to be split below the nails, too. I strongly advise you to rope it off and not allow anyone near it until its fixed. Whats the other side like? A sheer drop to concrete?

Deluks, I checked last night and there is a single nail knocked at an angle through the post into the deck.

Wabbitpoo I am in Edinburgh. The wood certainly hasn't been in my garden for years. There is a 4 foot drop onto grass. I think that might just be a mark that looks like a split. There are a lot of splits through the wood in general which I had thought would be down to the size of the nails used.

dont think wabbit poo will be popping up there then. even if you secured the wood correctly with bolts or timbelocks, the post have been cut down far to much for the overlap. you have in effect a post that is about a quarter of the thickness at the bottom compared to the top. weight at the top against it could easily cause it to snap with the leverage.

have a look at here for some tips:-

http://www.richardburbidge.co.uk/pdf/DY002 Fitting_Ins .pdf

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back