Decking load

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi....
we moved into a new house last year, the previous owners had a hot tub in some decking in the garden which they took with them. I'm looking to buy a hot tub but want to be 100% sure the decking will take the weight.... It's obviously had one on in the past but I'm not sure of the size of the last one.... The decking is in very good condition and looks and feels sound. Is there any way I can calculate the load bearing capacity just to be sure?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
1000L =1 tonne
take the water in the tub then add perhaps 50-100% for the tub and people in it

Is there any way I can determine how much weight the decks by can take though?

not really as we dont know construction method
timber sizes
timber spans and spacing
support quality
ground quality

how long did the previous family have theres ??
did you ask off any problems they had with it
if you dont know or cant find out the answer them aim for something lighter or smaller than what they had
try and get several large people [not kids]on the area jumping up and down and see what happens

Sponsored Links
A picture tells a thousand words.

So some pics of the construction, showing in the hole thats left etc will enable the folks here to help you better

A 2.5m diameter tub filled to around 800mm deep will have a water load of 4 tonne, add to that the weight of the tub itself. Go buy a load of bricks of equivalent weight and lay them out evenly in the shape of the tub. If the deck sinks or collapses you've proven it won't carry the weight. It it doesn't sink or collapse then you've proven it will work. You are now in the market to sell 4 tonne of bricks and maybe some firewood. :D

Weight distribution is the important thing, although very heavy the pressure per square ft is about the same as a fully loaded fridge , so depends on the design of the hot tub as well as the decking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back