Decking on previous patio area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just moved into our new home and Ive lifted 2 parts of the patio area and Im going to puting decking down in its place (wasnt an option to leave it as all tiles cracking under peoples weight)

Anyhow the base is compacted dolimite with sharp sand compacted on top and on that is a thin sand rich screed.

I was planning on just putting down some medium density blocks on top of this with my 3.5m x3m frame made of 4x2 directly on top of this. There is a slight fall off of a couple of inches , so will have to set some of the blocks into the sand / screed to make level but does this sound ok

Sponsored Links
Do you have a wall or walls at the boundary of the site? I ask because if yes you can secure a joist to the wall and help anchor the frame. Over the size of your decking a slope of 1"to 1.5" will be more than enough to ensure runoff of water.

sorry for delay and thanks for the input

In answer to wingcoax - yes I have walls on 2 sides (left and rear) but these are set back a little of brick posts at the left hand front corner and right hand rear corner (its set back into the left hand corner of a open courtyard), so I can anchor to both of these posts but not the main wall, I am planning to do with through bolts.

My main concern is support for the 4x2 joists and frame

Over 2.9m it has a fall of approx 50mm - if this is not to steep I wanted to lay it on top of flags or on driveway block pavers (which I have plenty laying about)

If not can I add small "legs" made from 4x2 off cuts screwed to the frame & resting on these flags or block pavers to level it up a little bare but still include a slight fall

I will post a pic tomorrow that will explain it little better

Sponsored Links
I built decking on an old patio and used stub legs to support it as you suggest. The area was approx 5x4 meters and i had no problem. I also used 4x4" post to create a pergola effect.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back