DECKING POSTS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'll be setting 100 x100 decking posts into the ground and just wanted some advise on the size and depth the holes should be. Also I was going to use a dry mix of 1 part cement and 6 parts ballast, pack it down then add water later once I've set the posts sitting level. Is this what you pros do or would recommend doing?
Any advice or tips much appreciated

Sponsored Links
how highs the deck?

Well, my garden slopes slightly, but I guess the most raised end of the deck will be approximately 18 inches to 24 inches from the current ground level. I haven't collected any exact measurements as yet. The area of the deck will be around 10ft square, if that's relevant.

the posts are literally there to give the deck something to bear onto, so they only need to go into the ground about 12" at that height, unless its soft ground. If you hit solid chalk a few inches down then thats fine and stop there. Did one at the start of the year on heavy clay, by a pond. Piled in oak posts, 6 feet deep!

Sponsored Links
Did one at the start of the year on heavy clay, by a pond. Piled in oak posts, 6 feet deep!

Do tell! I've just looked at a job involving a supporting post on a treehouse, 8ft up. and currently attached to 3 trees (one of which is coming down)
The tree coming out is on the edge of a 4ft bank at the edge of the garden.

How'd ya get the posts in?

we used an oak post, cut the ends to a point and used an elephants foot on the end of a breaker. Then used a sledge hammer for good measure. Very hard work, but it was clay!

whats the ground like?

Chalky I think, the post will be going where the existing stump is, so grinding out probably. Although the base of the tree is hollow, in and about 2ft up inside!

Other large birch nearby so probably rooty, will probably end up digging out about a metre and concreting in.

Will keep you, erm, posted!
:)

the posts are literally there to give the deck something to bear onto, so they only need to go into the ground about 12" at that height, unless its soft ground. If you hit solid chalk a few inches down then thats fine and stop there. Did one at the start of the year on heavy clay, by a pond. Piled in oak posts, 6 feet deep!

Thanks for the advice. It's much appreciated

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back