decking "quote 224 posts" is that too much?

Hi, I just finished a decking 8.5 x 3.8 m. Materials cost just under £ 1000 from local timber yard (4x2 treated C16 joists and 32 mm redwood boards). I did it with my son-in-law in 10 mandays. It was our first decking and was built around a spa, so quite fiddley in places, so a professional should be able to do it faster than that.

Hope this helps, Andy

Sponsored Links
Quoted from a 2008 BBC radio news report - the funny story at the end of the week type -

<Quote>
And at last a solution for rats under decking. Mr Pegia put down decking, but after 6 months had rats underneath it. With young children he looked for a solution. "Decking solutions such as 18-gauge mesh wire 2m deep in the soil didn't work and it was like digging a grave to get to 2 metres deep!" he said. ".....and the rats just chewed through it".
Pest Controller Mike Betts said "That's little surprise as they have a 280psi bite, wire goes rusty and gets weak! Try to avoid sources of food in your garden".
Mr Pegia however found a solution from, of all people, his lawyer......... "Although a bit more expensive than wire, just lay your decking and then before you screw it down, in-fill the decking frame with small stones all the way to the top - use local driveway stones as sold in bulk from builder centres - the stones allow drainage so the wood doesn't rot and you don't get rusty wire! - and the rats have no-where to live. Lift the boards once a year and top up just to be certain" said Mr Pegia.
The BBC interviewer called the lawyers, dllegal, who simply said "We had decking near our office and had a similar problem - Lawyers know how to deal with rats - it's a professional hazard! " ..........
The interview ended with the interviewer saying "A year on, not a rat! and there was no sign of lawyers either!"
<Unquote>

Sponsored Links
Hi, I just finished a decking 8.5 x 3.8 m. Materials cost just under £ 1000 from local timber yard (4x2 treated C16 joists and 32 mm redwood boards). I did it with my son-in-law in 10 mandays. It was our first decking and was built around a spa, so quite fiddley in places, so a professional should be able to do it faster than that.

Hope this helps, Andy

Given that this is an old post, resurrected, can I imply add the comment:

WTF were you doing posting to DIYNot on Christmas Day?! Get a life. :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back