Decking treatment questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just finished building a deck in my garden, I have a couple of questions regarding treatment.

After reading advice on this forum, I am going to oil the deck.

However, because there's a lot of pollen and blossom blowing around at the moment, as soon as I start oiling the deck it is going to have bits stuck on it, so...

Am I OK to leave the deck a month or two before oiling it?

Also, is tinted decking oil OK to use? Or does it start to look bad after a while?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
It will depend on what oil you use, but it is generally not like varnish and you should not get stuff "stuck" onto the surface.

You should be able to brush off whatever blows onto it

I used green tanalised boards and then used a clear oil, but it still turned them a pleasing shade of brown

Thanks for the response.

I have just been looking around the internet, and some people suggest that the decking should weather for a while first before oiling.

Would anyone here advise that? Or is it best to oil asap?

Sponsored Links
I can't see an valid reason for waiting for it to weather.

One thing with coating any external timber is that its best to do it when the timber is dry but has not been so dry, and to be so contracted that the coating later splits and pores open when it later swells

The best time of year is therefore late summer/early Autumn, but this may not always be practical, and it is not essential to wait until then

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back