Decommission PV panels

yap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm about to do a dormer loft conversion. I currently have 3x250W solar panels on the side of the roof which will be extended. I guess it's not worth trying to keep the solar panels as they produce so little energy I will never recover the cost of trying to reposition them.

Is it a requirement to have an electrician to disconnect and decommission the solar panels? Can I do it myself and sell or throw them in the skip?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
They will definitely have value. Is this part of a larger install? Have you thought of trading in and upgrading? If you stick within your FIT agreement you might find you can hit the same production with fewer panels.

Is it a requirement to have an electrician to disconnect and decommission the solar panels? Can I do it myself and sell or throw them in the skip?

Thanks.
It is not a requirement to have an electrician to do any electrical work in the UK. It is a requirement to do it safely.

It is not a requirement to have an electrician to do any electrical work in the UK. It is a requirement to do it safely.
That is true of electrical work in residential premises in England and Wales, by virtue of Part P of the Building Regulations. I'm not so sure about non-residential property, and I don't know about other parts of the UK.

Sponsored Links
If your thinking of throwing them away then please consider offering them on Freegle/Freecycle/trashnothing.

Someone would come and take them away, perhaps even assist with the disconnection etc.

Hi if you throwing them away my wife runs a carehome and looking to get solar for their summer house so the resident can use it to it full potential I’m sure they be interested if your getting rid, would be happy to collect to if your not as million miles away

Thanks for the information.

I'll get in touch if I decide to throw them away.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back