Deemed discharge, Appeal, what are the processes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am have 4 items requiring solutions.
1) I have waited 3 years to have pre-commencement conditions signed off. All signed off one by one in writing but no sign of either a Discharge Certificate or a Certificate of Lawfulness. I am about to submit a Deemed Discharge letter, but what happens when, as I expect, nothing comes back? Iis my letter then my legal status, so to speak, because there is no way through the planning portal for a DD application, or is there?
2) I have waited 1 year to have conditions signed off, so same as above. I had a scheme (1) and then with a MMA varied that scheme and had a 'new' set of conditions attached, which are actually the same ones as above, rewritten. As above, the planners say 'next week' over and over and over. Both applications were officially submitted through the PP. So, a second DD letter and what about my Certificate of Lawfulness?
3) New build. Adjacent to the above scheme I have asked to build 3 houses. This was turned down (3 months after the decision date was passed) on grounds that show that no one actually looked at the site. I am appealing the decision, but who then decides the application - the Secretary of State? Or does the SS say, for example, "we think this was an error" and send it back to the council? Does it ever, for example, go to committee?
4) After the new build was turned down, I was invited to reduce to 2 houses (this is a site that previously had 8 houses) but we were told that it would be turned down because of parking issues (despite the fact that the new build will use the same car park as my permission in no. 1, which is no longer being built, because we are going ahead with no. 2 plan in which we reduce the no. of units and therefore need only half the car park that exists and is live, within permission 1) I then reduced my application for 3 houses to 1 house and the deadline for decision is now passed. There was a committee date set and put online, but this has now been removed and the planner has written to say that there is no plan for the application to go to committee. It therefore looks like a refusal will go up any day (we know that if the planners had recommended permission be granted, it had to go to committee). Do I appeal on non determination or wait for the decision before appealing? And again, will this decision then be made by the SS or will they simply send it to the council for another determination?

Sponsored Links
Its really difficult to read in a huge block and not know anything about the applications...
At a guess:

1. You have had all the conditions signed off except 1? Why is that one not signed off?
I am struggling to see how you could apply for a certificate of lawfulness in this case. You can appeal on non determination, however this needs to be done within 6 months from the date that the decision should of been made.

2. MMA (Material Minor Amendment?) Gives you effectively a new consent so the conditions form the original will be copied over. The rest of this is too confusing to give a meaningful response.

3. Appeal made to the SS (Secretary of State) to consider and decide. No Council / Committee ass the decision has been made to refuse.

4. Wait for the decision, then appeal. (same as point 3)

Thank you. Sorry about the block of text.
All my pre-commencement conditions are met and this has been agreed in writing in various letters from the council. I will submit a deemed discharge but how does this work in that I don't suppose there will be any response from the council. Do I just show the letter that I sent to my lender, for example?
What about the certificate of lawful development? Does my deemed discharge letter then become the certificate of lawfulness?

You said you have waited 3 years+ for the discharge of conditions to be sorted?

Deemed discharge appeals can only be submitted regarding applications that have been submitted on or after April 2015. You also can't use them for certain types of condition.

I am confused about the Lawful Development Certificate (LDC)? I assume you have applied for Full planning permission and not a LDC? You don't need an LDC when you have full planning permission granted.

Sponsored Links
I see from legislation that I can send a deemed discharge letter. So I send it and then what? Or is there some other means of making the deemed discharge?
I previously had an agent and he said that once everything is built, I will need the LDC.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back