Deeper guttering recommendations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I need to replace some guttering for a customer when I re-paint their exterior. There is scaffolding because it is being repointed. The house is Victorian.

The span is approx 6m.

I think that the current black plastic guttering is a "standard" half round. It has one union join, which leaks. The exit pipe runs in to a soil pipe boss (via a running outlet) and uses a rubber flexible connection (the type with jubilee clips).

He has asked for a bigger capacity guttering. Apparently, if the rain fall is particularly heavy it jumps out of the guttering. Looking a the roof space I suspect that it more likely that the gutter needs clearing out from time to time. Nevertheless, I will provide him with what he asked for.

From what I have read thus far... the Flowplast Deep flow might be ideal.

Given that the new guttering will be slightly deeper, will the soil pipe boss be at the wrong height. If I move the running outlet further away from the soil pipe, will that suffice? From memory, the running outlet is about 30cm from the soil pipe.

Unfortunately I don't have any photos on me at the moment.

The customer has categorically stated that he doesn't want the join where it currently is- it leaks just above the kitchen door.

I would be grateful for any supplier recommendations. I will probably order two 4mm lengths to give me a bit of wiggle room, so it needs to be delivered to site (Ealing, West London).

I am guessing that I additionally need about 7 clips, a union, the running outlet, a short length of 68mm, and an elbow. Based on the site I looked at earlier, that is about £80 (inc VAT) plus £12.50 for delivery.

Is there anything that I may not have considered and are their other sites or brands that I should consider?

Thanks in advance.

...Oh, as a follow on, are leaf guards effective, or do the leaves sit on the top of the guard and cause the water to run over the top of the guttering anyway?

Sponsored Links
Fellow brother of the brush.

I use this lot. Should have a trade centre near you.

Thanks Wayners.

They have a branch 2 miles from site and offer free delivery over £50.

They do seem to be a lot more expensive though.

For example, they charge £29.32 for a 4m length, I can get the Floplast for half of that price. I guess you need to register as a trade customer to get better prices. Unfortunately, it seems that you need to visit your local branch to register for a trade account. I will consider doing that at a future date.

...Oh, as a follow on, are leaf guards effective, or do the leaves sit on the top of the guard and cause the water to run over the top of the guttering anyway?
I'm a DIYer not trade so my experience is obviously limited.

We have a lot of mature trees in the garden & area, including field maple which has large leaves. I put mesh over a number of gutters and if anything it made matters worse. They did not stop the gutters from accumulating gunk but they made it harder to clean the gutters.

What I bought came with metal fittings that you had to weave through the holes and clip on the side of the gutter. There were no where nearly enough of these, so there were loose area where the mesh would lift up and let leaves underneath.

After a while I took the metal fittings out and replaced them with cable ties. That worked okay for a while in that it kept whole leaves out but the leaves on top broke down and bits fell through the holes in the mesh. Over time those bits built up to a considerable amount and with the mesh on top it is much harder to clear this muck out of the gutters.

Two probably relevant points:

1. AFAIUI these mesh strips are supposed to be fitted so as to form an 'arch' along the length of the gutters. That way leaves are exposed to the air and when they dry will fall / blow off. I could not get them to stay in place like that, so they were flat and the leaves stayed in a flat soggy layer.

2. We have a large house and (presumably for aesthetic reasons) there are no downpipes on the front and the fascia boards are quite shallow. So the gutters are very shallow making the water flow relatively slow. If the gutters were steeper, and the flow faster, then the small pieces of leaves the got through the mesh might have been washed away.

Sponsored Links
@opps

Don't take no notice of online prices.
Go in and ask.
Just look like a trade and say.
I need a price for a job. Here is a list of what I need.
They will give you print out and price with discount.

Found them very good to me. I don't use much just the odd bit of plastic and pay over counter.

@opps

Don't take no notice of online prices.
Go in and ask.
Just look like a trade and say.
I need a price for a job. Here is a list of what I need.
They will give you print out and price with discount.

Found them very good to me. I don't use much just the odd bit of plastic and pay over counter.

Cheers mate.

This time around, I don't have the time to go there to convince them that I am trade, but I will save their details for the future.

Did you properly advise the customer that in your professional opinion you believed it’s debris in the gutter or pipe causing the problem ? Or was that less money than you changing all their guttering? Just asking

Did you properly advise the customer that in your professional opinion you believed it’s debris in the gutter or pipe causing the problem ? Or was that less money than you changing all their guttering? Just asking

I was not involved in that part of the conversation.

Are you normally so confrontational? If you read through the previous posts, perhaps when sober, you will see that I am here to minimise costs.

I will be there to repaint the exterior window sills, facia boards, etc., and to fit the new guttering.

The customer specified/requested a deeper (read: higher flow gutter).

I just want to turn up and sort things out. If you have some kind of magic bullet, please let us know.

In the meantime, you haven't added anything positive to this thread.

Pat yourself on the back.

Last edited:

As an aside- what happened to PaintersPitStop? Far and away the best Trade Decorator site that I had come across.

I was not involved in that part of the conversation.

Are you normally so confrontational? If you read through the previous posts, perhaps when sober, you will see that I am here to minimise costs.

I will be there to repaint the exterior window sills, facia boards, etc., and to fit the new guttering.

The customer specified/requested a deeper (read: higher flow gutter).

I just want to turn up and sort things out. If you have some kind of magic bullet, please let us know.

In the meantime, you haven't added anything positive to this thread.

Pat yourself on the back.
Hit a nerve ?

right so 1st. apologies if I offended with my question ( was genuine ) 2 nd no need for the insult of be drunk and last of all some input for you . Have you got joins at neighbours ( you need to order them , if not then you need stop ends for gutter ) floplast is good , can I ask when you say soil pipe do you mean downpipe , reason I ask is your not supposed to put outlet into soil stack ( i think it’s something to do with mixing the waters ) and you’ll need to fit a rainwater pipe . Once again not out to be rude so sorry if I came across that way

right so 1st. apologies if I offended with my question ( was genuine ) 2 nd no need for the insult of be drunk and last of all some input for you . Have you got joins at neighbours ( you need to order them , if not then you need stop ends for gutter ) floplast is good , can I ask when you say soil pipe do you mean downpipe , reason I ask is your not supposed to put outlet into soil stack ( i think it’s something to do with mixing the waters ) and you’ll need to fit a rainwater pipe . Once again not out to be rude so sorry if I came across that way

I accept your apology but, with respect, it doesn't (initially) read like a genuine apology, especially given your post just before..., but yes the latter part does seem genuine, so thank you.

Hit a nerve ?

I accept what you say about rain water and the sewer system, but the property is Victorian and it is common to find rainwater gutters that run in to the sewers. I suspect that there may once have been a downpipe (which ran into the sewers rather than a soak away). At some point 3 part sliding doors were installed on the ground floor- I would guess that was the point at which the downpipe was removed and a soil pipe boss was added.

The house is a L shaped semi (apologies, a poor description). The guttering is at the rear of the property, on the side and not connected to a neighbour's.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back