Definition of a "Qualified Electrician"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About to purchase a Nuaire Drimaster Heat to help out in a house that suffers from condensation.
The instructions say that to maintain the warranty, it needs to be installed strictly in line with the instructions.
The instructions state that it must be installed by a "qualified electrician".

Firstly 2 points here:
1) Part P. I understand that the loft is NOT a special zone and that installing a fused spur off the an existing Ring is NOT notifiable?

2) What would constitute a qualified electician and why should I use one in this situation? Am I really likely to cause the thing to break?

TIA.
Paul

Sponsored Links
1) Part P. I understand that the loft is NOT a special zone and that installing a fused spur off the an existing Ring is NOT notifiable?
That is true, it is minor works and although not notifiable it should be tested and a certificate made out with regards to this work
2) What would constitute a qualified electician and why should I use one in this situation? Am I really likely to cause the thing to break?
A qualified electrician by it's wording would suggest one that has qualification within that field. There are many quals that can be considered but I would suspect at least having 2382 (wiring regs) and an inspection and testing qual would be desired.
The reason that one would be recommended is so the installation is done safely and compliant and you are issued documents to prove this.
With regards to whether you would introduce a dangerous situation or the item to become faulty because of you, would depend on your ability to complete this task.

Since the unit is legally obliged to have a CE stamp then presumably the electrician should also have a tattoo with the same stamp.
C as in "CE" perhaps standing for Chartered, Competent, Capable, Culpable Cr4p, Certified (as in loony) etc etc - Electrician

That sounds like a plan, Jackrae.....

067.JPG

Sponsored Links
Since the unit is legally obliged to have a CE stamp then presumably the electrician should also have a tattoo with the same stamp.
C as in "CE" perhaps standing for Chartered, Competent, Capable, Culpable Cr4p, Certified (as in loony) etc etc - Electrician

Or even Chinese.

That's a bit rough, Winston. Lots of good stuff is made in China, you can't blame them for doing things better or cheaper than we can.

Tung in cheek perhaps, but as well as the good stuff there is a lot of poor quality copied crap.

About to purchase a Nuaire Drimaster Heat to help out in a house that suffers from condensation.
The instructions say that to maintain the warranty, it needs to be installed strictly in line with the instructions.
The instructions state that it must be installed by a "qualified electrician".

Firstly 2 points here:

TIA.
Paul

The requirements of Part P are of little relevance here. It's a stipulation of the manufacturer that in order to maintain the warranty, they require that the product be installed by a "qualified electrician". A bit like how they insist that you don't removed those labels marked "warranty void if broken". So I guess the question has to be put to the manufacturer as to what they would recognise as being a "qualified electrician".

I'm sure the manufacturer will claim it ensures that the item was actually defective and that the problem did not arise as a result of a botched installation. The cynic might suggest that it allows the manufacturer to ostensibly offer a warranty while having an armory of get-out clauses. There is a third possibility that the warranty terms and the installation instructions were written by two different departments and created an unintentional dependency chain.

If it concerns you, the best thing to do is seek clarify from the manufacturer.

Or, conversely, it could just be a way of preventing 'the general public' doing it wrong and injuring themselves leading to lengthy compensation claims.

You do make a good point I like many others have collected bits of paper to say I can do my job but don't need a single one of them really.

If I possesses sufficient technical knowledge, relevant practical skills and experience for the nature of the electrical work undertaken and is able at all times to prevent danger and, where appropriate, injury to him/herself and others.

Then I am an electrician qualified to do the task in question.

I could have level 6 qualifications (honers degree) but if I don't possesses sufficient technical knowledge, relevant practical skills and experience for the nature of the electrical work undertaken and is able at all times to prevent danger and, where appropriate, injury to him/herself and others.

Then I am not an electrician qualified to do the task in question.

Same applies to the best Polish electrician if he can't read English he can't do job safely it's nothing to do with bits of paper. If I get Alzheimer disease then all those bits of paper mean nothing.

So basic fact is if you can install it safely then you can do it if you can't then your not allowed and that could be simply down to amount of beer drunk that day. I am a great Pub electrician after a few pints I can answer all the questions!

ekmdgrf is right - that is why it says 'must be installed by QE' Good get out clause for manufacturer/retailer when it goes bang if there is no certifcate provided by QE.

You do make a good point I like many others have collected bits of paper to say I can do my job but don't need a single one of them really.

If I possesses sufficient technical knowledge, relevant practical skills and experience for the nature of the electrical work undertaken and is able at all times to prevent danger and, where appropriate, injury to him/herself and others.

Then I am an electrician qualified to do the task in question.

I could have level 6 qualifications (honers degree) but if I don't possesses sufficient technical knowledge, relevant practical skills and experience for the nature of the electrical work undertaken and is able at all times to prevent danger and, where appropriate, injury to him/herself and others.

Then I am not an electrician qualified to do the task in question.

Same applies to the best Polish electrician if he can't read English he can't do job safely it's nothing to do with bits of paper. If I get Alzheimer disease then all those bits of paper mean nothing.

So basic fact is if you can install it safely then you can do it if you can't then your not allowed and that could be simply down to amount of beer drunk that day. I am a great Pub electrician after a few pints I can answer all the questions!
Well put. The sad thing is I regularly come across 'qualified electricians' who are totally incapable of doing anything but house bashing (even then I wonder) the trouble is these guys end up on major commercial building sites where there are things a bit more demanding than a ring final. For example ... 3 phase often fools them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back