Definition of "eaves" on a triangular building

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, my first post here.

I am looking to build a man cave in the garden and love the idea of a triangular shaped building. So according to the UK planning laws, the maximum height is 4m (wont be a problem), but the eaves can only be 2.5m if within 2m of the property boundary.

So, where would I stand with this? The example in the image below does not have any eaves along the side from what I can see, so would any overhang at the front count as eaves?

Triangle_house_doon_architecture_dezeen_1568_6.jpg

Sponsored Links
its the total height off the building is restricted to 2.5m above the natural ground level it covers if its within 2m off the boundary there is no higher part allowed farther away
the whole structure should be
treated as a box for this exercise at a maximum 2.5m if you wish to avoid the need to comply with planing regulations

Last edited:
Eaves are the bottom end of the roof near the gutter, but there does not need to be a gutter. All pitched roofs will have eaves.

Sponsored Links
If you want more than 2.5m high you need to be 2m from the border. But if it won't cause a problem for the neighbours anyway and you're not in a rush just apply for planning permission anyway. It'll add 2 months to the schedule minimum but it might be worth it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back